Would you like to see your work have physical impact on our planet? Do you want to build cloud software that will command thousands of commercial and industrial clean energy systems in the field?
We're looking for candidates who are ready to get their hands dirty, are as passionate about industrial IoT and energy storage as we are, and have the drive required to bring new energy storage systems to market!
What You’ll Do
As Sr/Lead DevOps Engineer, you’ll be managing, enhancing, and scaling the Axiom Cloud platform that turns supermarkets and our Refrigeration Battery hardware into an intelligent energy management service. You will bring our cutting-edge physical modeling, machine learning, and energy management algorithms to life, creating a real-world impact on our customers’ energy savings at enterprise scale.
You’ll work directly with the CTO, Director of Controls Development, and the Software team on the following strategic initiatives:
- Own our cutting-edge cloud platform. Generate and maintain best practices; design and implement new features; expand to enterprise-scale capability and robustness.
- Create workflows to quickly and reliably release sophisticated software at scale while reducing downtime and risk, from the IoT edge to data analysis services and web apps.
- Engineer reliability and scale into our software, moving us from handfuls to thousands of customer sites (blue/green development, staging environments, etc).
- Leverage the skills of our unique and exceptional hardware/software cross-functional staff to create innovative solutions to physical engineering challenges.
- Be the subject matter expert on all things cloud and devops. Provide technical leadership to a growing software team.
- Directly help develop key software services from the IoT edge to the cloud.
- Generate metrics to drive beautiful and intuitive displays of energy savings data in our web apps.
Who You Are
(a general guide - we can bend these rules for an incredible candidate!)
- B.S. in any computer science, engineering, or similar discipline.
- 2-5+ years experience implementing devops methodology.
- Interested in learning and contributing to a wide variety of software projects, including web backend, IoT edge, creative data analysis, and control using machine learning algorithms.
- An enthusiastic self-starter who can work with minimal supervision and generates innovative solutions to tough problems.
- Passionate about technology innovation, product development, industrial IoT, and energy storage.
- Docker (containers, compose, orchestration, etc.)
- Infrastructure automation (terraform)
- Web service building blocks (ex. load balancers, haproxy, nginx, VPCs, etc)
- AWS (ELB, ALB, VPC, Autoscaling Groups, Route53, IAM, RDS, IoT, Lambda)
- Web security (SSL, authentication schemes, certificate management, etc)
- Service monitoring and incident management
- Databases: Timeseries (influxdb), noSQL (mongodb), object storage
- Deployment workflows: CI/CD
- TDD frameworks (nosetests, pytest, unittest, etc)
- Linux, bash, git
- Profiling & refactoring web services (Python)
- REST API design and documentation
Nice to have skills/technologies:
- Rancher (1.x and 2.x)
- CoreOS (ignition + systemd)
- Spot instances (spotinst.com)
- Drone CI
- Sentry (8.x)
- web service software development
- exposure to data processing, modeling, and analytics (Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, Matplotlib, Grafana 5+, Jupyter notebooks)
- "Cloudnostic" architecture design
- Azure, Digital Ocean
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Active Directory
- Experience doing security audits
What You Get
- Compensation in competitive base salary and equity.
- Flexible work arrangement: anywhere from full-time office to full-time remote.
- “Honor system” PTO policy (no specified limits), flexible work schedule, flexible maternity/paternity leave.
- Subsidized group healthcare (estimated $4,000/year salary equivalent).
- No-fees 401k.
- Expensed working lunches and dinners (estimated $5,000/year salary equivalent).
- Commuter plan (pay for qualified commuting expenses with pre-tax dollars).
- Snacks and drinks on tap - suggestions welcome!
- Numerous social activities including team happy hours, barbecues, holiday parties, and an annual Halloween costume competition.
- Access to the ferry, Bay trail, waterfront, gym, and EV chargers within walking distance.
The Fine Print
- We’re a startup. The work is demanding, but we’ll make every effort to find an arrangement that works.
- Occasional on-call rotation (can be done at HQ or remotely).
Please answer any or all of the following questions. Use Python, Java, or your language of choice. You can upload a file in the "cover letter" upload section (the cover letter itself is optional). Thanks!
1. Write a Terraform configuration that provisions an EC2 instance and creates security group rules restricting access to only SSH IP whitelist. Use variables appropriately to allow the instance to be created in any data center, change the instance type, and change the IP whitelist.
2. Write a Dockerfile that installs the latest Python AWS CLI and allows the container run the AWS CLI tool on the command line. The final container image should contain only the necessary elements for support the AWS CLI execution.
3. Write a bash script that hits the AWS EC2 local metadata API, and can be run on an EC2 instance to produce `export` statements which set environment variables containing the instance type, IP address, region, and availability zone.