Avalanche Studios is the original creator of the award-winning Just Cause franchise (published by Square Enix), the developer of Mad Max (published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and is currently working on Rage 2 (published by Bethesda Softworks), scheduled for release in 2019. As a publisher, Avalanche Studios has brought free-to-play service theHunter Classic to market and reached more than 7 million registered players across 190 countries. The theHunter franchise was expanded in 2017 to also include premium title theHunter: Call of the Wild, which was released for PC and subsequently console platforms. Avalanche Studios, which is based in Stockholm, New York City and Malmö, was founded in 2003 by Christofer Sundberg and Linus Blomberg. The studio develops games using its proprietary Apex technology, enabling huge open worlds filled with emergent gameplay.
We are looking for passionate and highly motivated animation lead for our new studio in Malmö. As Lead Animator you’ll work with character animation and rigging. The ideal candidate has experience with character and creature animation, facial animation, skeletal construction and point weighting. You will also have a focus on quality control for the animations created on the team and influence the work in the group. The ideal candidate feels comfortable in a team environment and is able to contribute on many levels, working together with both other animators and programmers.
This is a rare opportunity for the candidate who wants to play an instrumental and leading role in a small but senior team, making AAA quality games. If you are a person who likes being challenged and stimulated in an ambitious and talented environment this position will suit you perfectly!
- To plan, manage, coordinate and review the work of the animation team to ensure the highest quality
- To work closely with the Game Director and Lead/Senior Designers to establish the animation requirements in all areas of the game
- To ensure that the integrity of the animations and character behaviors are realized as intended in the build via regular reviews, establishing issues and advising on implementation and technical solutions.
- To collaborate with Directors, Producer and other Leads to help drive the project direction
- Actively participate in animation system and tech design, pipeline improvements, and all animation related problem solving
- To be a positive driving force that consistently leads by example
- Act as a role-model for the animation team by emphasizing project and company goals, provide feedback on performance, mentoring and training the Animators to achieve the best of their ability.
- Passionate about animation with a high level of understanding of weight distribution, posing and timing\
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate, both creatively and technically
- Experience with facial animation, cinematography, cinematic related character animation, rigging, skinning, animation state trees and animation scripting would be beneficial
- Experience with multi-player related animation systems and open world games would be beneficial\
- Have a passion for making great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends ideally an avid gamer!
A Portfolio is required demonstrating all aspects of your skills, add a link to your online portfolio in your CV. To apply for this position please register below with a detailed CV and cover letter. Apply as soon as possible as we review applications continuously. All further information is provided under non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate to work full-time in Malmö, Sweden.
At Avalanche Studios, we believe in worlds without limits, and we are committed to develop a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to hire great talent from a variety of backgrounds. Being part of our world is not contingent on where you’re from, your gender, or sexual orientation. It’s all about your passion, courage and craftsmanship.
Our studio in Malmö, Sweden is the company’s third location since it was founded in Stockholm in 2003, and expanded to New York City in 2011.The Malmö studio will focus on development of current and future Avalanche Studios IPs, relatively small and flexible projects which rest on a solid foundation of AAA production values and award-winning proprietary technology. Malmö was chosen because of its unique location, rich culture and - above all - thriving game development community. With its creative independence, a decade and a half of experience and strong portfolio of games, Avalanche Studios will fill a unique position in the city.