Automata’s mission is to democratise robotics. We create the tools that empower people to automate physical work that they should no longer have to do.
We design and build the robots that will redefine what ‘work’ means over the coming years. We go all the way - and do everything - hardware, mechanical, electronics, firmware, front-end, back-end, control system. This is as cross-functional and integrated as it gets.
Designing and building robots that don’t break the bank, but also don’t compromise on quality and stability, means that ‘buying off the shelf’ isn’t an option for Automata.
Our mechanical engineering team design, prototype and asses for manufacture almost 100% of the components found in Eva. We’re looking to hire an experienced, hands-on Mechanical Engineer, ideally, someone who understands powertrain and/or automatic machine design and is excited by the complexities of robotics.
What will you be doing?
- Working extensively with gears, bearings and their application in a robotic arm
- Working across the following engineering areas:
- Gear design, engineering fits, tribology, material selection, structural calculations
- Creating and modifying parametric CAD models for prototyping and manufacture
- Taking a prominent and hands-on role in internal (3D printing and CNC milling) and outsourced prototyping to rapidly produce high-quality working prototypes.
- Peer review and analysis of mechanical design, from basic principles to more detailed analysis of material selection, suitability for manufacture, durability, cost, safety, etc.
- Designing and building test rigs, formulating and carrying out test plans to validate design changes.
What do we want to see from you?
- Particular experience/in-depth knowledge of any or all of these: gear design, bearing design, robotics
- MEng or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering, and strong evidence of applying appropriate mechanical design principles in professional and personal projects
- Knowledge of off the shelf components such as:
- Bearings, electric motors, planetary gearbox (pneumatics? amazing!)
- A solid grasp of parametric CAD principles, with experience in a major CAD package (Autodesk Inventor would be desired but not necessary). Understanding of FE analysis principles would also be beneficial
- Hands-on experience with prototyping/fabrication methods such as CNC milling, 3D printing
- In general, we like sharp thinkers who learn quickly and question everything
- Excellent communication skills, flawless written English
- Work with a talented, passionate, and diverse team of humans (and robots) democratising robotics and creating the future of work
- Competitive salary with regular salary reviews, a company backed pension scheme and attractive share options after you pass your probation period
- The right technology setup for you to succeed in your role; laptop, monitors, software licences, robot assistants etc.
- Flexible working hours
- Company sponsored cycle to work scheme
- Access to a free pantry at the office, providing breakfast, healthy snacks and a truly vast variety of hot and cold beverages, oh and we’ve got an ice machine
- On Fridays we enjoy a team lunch all together, provided by the company,
- Friday afternoon beers (and the occasional tray of donuts, if the lunch was too healthy)
- Social clubs organised by the team (run/climb/suggest something new!)
- Broaden your knowledge of the world and your specific areas of interest through the Automata Book Club