Automata’s mission is to democratise robotics. We create the tools that empower people to automate physical work they should no longer have to do.
But who is this for? Isn’t automation solved already?
Glad you asked. Automation isn’t solved - far from it. Even in factories where automation is prolific, only 1 in 10 automatable tasks is automated. The rest of the work is done by people - sometimes in inhuman conditions, often for minimum wage, and its always menial. And such physical work isn’t just limited to factories - it's all around us - even in our homes. This is what we’re solving. The challenges that lie ahead of us are unprecedented, and the impact they will have is even larger. The tools we make will redefine what it is to work, and they are for everyone.
And we go all the way in making these tools - we do our own hardware, mechanical, electronics, firmware, front-end, back-end and control system. We even designed our own gearboxes. We’re not easily fazed, get excited by formidable challenges and take them on if it makes sense. If you can relate to that, you’re in the right place. Read on.
As a Masterplanner, Opportunist, Wordsmith at Automata, you are exceptional at planning, excellent at finding opportunities, and your primary output is words - glowing, bright, shining, burning, words - spoken and written - delivered in a room full of executives and decision makers or on paper to funding bodies, R&D organisations and policy makers.
You are the initiator of new pursuits and projects - you will find new opportunities working with the Business Development team, scope them with Product and Engineering teams, create detailed project proposals to seek R&D funding and forge new partnerships, and if successful, bring them into the fold, onboarding the relevant product team and ensuring a smooth hand off.
You will operate at the earliest stages of an idea - while it is a soup of noise and chaos - at the intersection of Engineering, Business Development and Product. And in this chaos you should be able to see opportunities, plans and paths that seem like magic to others, and then lay them out for all to see.
What will you bring to the team?
- You are good at finding opportunity - in the context of the larger company mission
- You love planning - the ability to look around corners and accommodate for the unknowns
- You are a wordsmith
- You are creative and visionary - we don’t want bland ideas delivered with great prose
- Work with a talented, passionate, and diverse team of humans (and robots) democratising robotics and creating the future of work
- Competitive salary with regular salary reviews, a company backed pension scheme and attractive share options after you pass your probation period
- The right technology setup for you to succeed in your role; laptop, monitors, software licences, robot assistants etc.
- Flexible working hours
- Company sponsored cycle to work scheme
- Access to a free pantry at the office, providing breakfast, healthy snacks and a truly vast variety of hot and cold beverages, oh and we’ve got an ice machine
- On Fridays we enjoy a team lunch all together, provided by the company,
- Friday afternoon beers (and the occasional tray of donuts, if the lunch was too healthy)
- Social clubs organised by the team (run/climb/suggest something new!)
- Broaden your knowledge of the world and your specific areas of interest through the Automata Book Club