Automata’s mission is to democratise robotics. We create the tools that empower people to automate physical work they should no longer have to do.
But who is this for? Isn’t automation solved already?
Glad you asked. Automation isn’t solved - far from it. Even in factories where automation is prolific, only 1 in 10 automatable tasks is automated. The rest of the work is done by people - sometimes in inhuman conditions, often for minimum wage, and its always menial. And such physical work isn’t just limited to factories - it's all around us - even in our homes. This is what we’re solving. The challenges that lie ahead of us are unprecedented, and the impact they will have is even larger. The tools we make will redefine what it is to work, and they are for everyone.
And we go all the way in making these tools - we do our own hardware, mechanical, electronics, firmware, front-end, back-end and control system. We even designed our own gearboxes. We’re not easily fazed, get excited by formidable challenges and take them on if it makes sense. If you can relate to that, you’re in the right place. Read on.
We are looking to expand our team with talented Robot Builders.
You will be focused on the building and maintaining of our robots. This will involve working closely with our mechanical team on the assembly of our robots.
What will you be doing?
- Assembling the subassemblies that make up our robot
- Creating and modifying CAD models for prototyping and manufacture
- Taking a prominent and hands-on role in internal (3D printing and CNC milling) and outsourced prototyping to rapidly produce high-quality working prototypes.
What you will bring to the role?
- Good with your hands, organised and detailed oriented
- Particular interest/experience/in-depth knowledge of any/all of these: gear design, strain-gauge/torque sensors, bearing design
- A good grasp of CAD principles, with experience in a major CAD package (Autodesk Inventor would be desired but not necessary)
- Hands-on experience with prototyping/fabrication methods such as CNC milling, 3d printing, casting, moulding, etc is desired but not necessary
- Work with a talented, passionate, and diverse team of humans (and robots) democratising robotics and creating the future of work
- Competitive salary with regular salary reviews, a company backed pension scheme and attractive share options after you pass your probation period
- The right technology setup for you to succeed in your role; laptop, monitors, software licences, robot assistants etc.
- Flexible working hours
- Company sponsored cycle to work scheme
- Access to a free pantry at the office, providing breakfast, healthy snacks and a truly vast variety of hot and cold beverages, oh and we’ve got an ice machine
- On Fridays we enjoy a team lunch all together, provided by the company,
- Friday afternoon beers (and the occasional tray of donuts, if the lunch was too healthy)
- Social clubs organised by the team (run/climb/suggest something new!)
- Broaden your knowledge of the world and your specific areas of interest through the Automata Book Club