Asimov’s Synthetic Biology Team programs living cells with genetic circuits to enable previously impossible biotechnologies.
Position: We are seeking a full-time Research Associate to engineer mammalian cells with unconventional functions. You will work closely with scientists on the mammalian synthetic biology team and use the latest molecular biology, quantitative cell measurement, and -omics analysis techniques. This is a unique opportunity to work at a nimble, forward-thinking synthetic biology startup and help build the foundation for engineering biology.
As part of the Synthetic Biology Team, you will:
- Design, build, and test innovative genetic platforms and programs in mammalian cells
- Create and manage experimental workflows including flow cytometry and RNA-seq
- Analyze and distill insight from complex molecular data streams
- Communicate methods and results with other scientists and engineers
- Organize and document experiments, plasmids, and data
- Work effectively as part of a multifunctional team
- B.S. or M.S. in Biological Engineering, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience doing research in an academic or industry lab setting
- Skilled in molecular biology and microbiology methods such as DNA assembly and protein purification
- Expertise in aseptic mammalian cell culture techniques
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Familiarity with software tools such as Python, JMP, or R
- Training in computational modeling of biological systems a plus
- Experience in flow cytometry, transcriptomics, and analytical techniques a plus
- Experience with gene editing techniques a plus
About you: You should apply if you are obsessed with the question of how to best engineer complex biological systems. You are someone who takes pride in your work, and thrives in collaborative environments. You love learning, and get energized and excited about tackling challenging problems.
About us: We are fueled by a vision to transition synthetic biology to a fully-fledged engineering discipline. Should you join our team, you will grow with a constantly evolving organization, and push the frontiers of biological engineering. Culture is key to Asimov - we believe that our mission can only be achieved by a diverse team that brings a mixture of perspectives to creating a future powered by engineered biology.