Artificial was hatched from the minds of two Playground.Global
founders with the aspiration to meld the best of both robotics and the core technologies at the heart of the Internet. We believe this combination of hardware and software will accelerate productivity in life sciences because of the critical need for rapid innovation, flexible automation, dynamic scheduling, and a clear opportunity for more robots and artificial intelligence.
Our team values the positive purpose of our work and are motivated by our love of technology and the impact we see as possible within the intersection of robotics and life science. We measure our success through the day-to-day journey of consistent high-quality execution and progress towards our vision to deliver products that delight our customers and help improve the world.
Our founders bring decades of experience in creating powerful teams, platforms, and products for technology in general and cyber-physical systems and robots in particular. They have served in senior leadership or founding roles at KUKA Robotics, Microsoft, and Udacity.
In addition to the opportunity to work on a wide variety of worthy technical and business challenges, we offer competitive compensation, stock options, a generous health plan, a 401k plan, flexible vacation, dog-friendly offices, and robots working to improve all of our lives. Our teams are located in Palo Alto and Austin. The Palo Alto site is a short walk from Caltrain, has an excellent on-site kitchen and lots of roaming robots. The Austin team is small, but growing and the site selection is in progress.
About the role
Artificial is looking for an experienced Automation Engineer to be the first member of our dedicated lab automation team. You will be helping define our development roadmap and integration strategy, as well as designing, building, and testing robotic and automation systems.
- Experience on infrastructure and development teams integrating automated laboratory solutions
- Enthusiasm about working with robots and automated equipment
- Comfort defining goals and roadmaps for execution in an ambiguous environment
- Working knowledge of laboratory operations in synthetic biology, drug discovery, genomics, or related industries
- Experience with Python and/or C++, C#, or Java
- Comfort with a Linux development environment, Docker, and cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure) tools is ideal
- Comfort working with robotic arms in laboratory workcells
- Strong experience integrating with and implementing protocols on liquid handling systems (e.g. Hamilton, Tecan, LabCyte)
- Knowledge of lab automation equipment (e.g. plate readers, centrifuge, sealing/desealing) and software tools (e.g. device controllers, schedulers, LIMS)
- Working knowledge of common biological assays and protocols (ELISA, flow cytometry, imaging processes)
- A degree or study in software engineering or computer science is preferred, but equivalent experience is welcome
Artificial is an Equal Opportunity Employer