Artificial was born and hatched from the minds of two Playground founders. The team sits in Palo Alto a short walk from Caltrain with an on-site kitchen and roaming robots. A second office is on it's way in Austin, TX. Our founders bring decades of experience in technical product development and robotics infrastructure, with previous senior leadership and founding roles at Kuka AG, Microsoft, and Udacity.
Our team values the real-world impact of their work. Success is defined by high-quality execution: we expect everyone to work smart and at a sustainable pace, support their team, raise concerns early, keep us focused on what is most valuable, and be ready to roll with the punches that come with a startup.
In addition to working with a wide variety of technical and business challenges, we offer competitive compensation, stock options, full health benefits, a 401k plan, flexible vacation, a dog-friendly office, and lots of robots.
About the role
Artificial is looking for an experienced Automation Engineer to be the first member of our dedicated lab automation team. You will be helping define our development roadmap and integration strategy, as well as designing, building, and testing robotic and automation systems.
- Experience on infrastructure and development teams integrating automated laboratory solutions
- Enthusiasm about working with robots and automated equipment
- Comfort defining goals and roadmaps for execution in an ambiguous environment
- Working knowledge of laboratory operations in synthetic biology, drug discovery, genomics, or related industries
- Experience with Python and/or C++, C#, or Java
- Comfort with a Linux development environment, Docker, and cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure) tools is ideal
- Comfort working with robotic arms in laboratory workcells
- Strong experience integrating with and implementing protocols on liquid handling systems (e.g. Hamilton, Tecan, LabCyte)
- Knowledge of lab automation equipment (e.g. plate readers, centrifuge, sealing/desealing) and software tools (e.g. device controllers, schedulers, LIMS)
- Working knowledge of common biological assays and protocols (ELISA, flow cytometry, imaging processes)
- A degree or study in software engineering or computer science is preferred, but equivalent experience is welcome
Artificial is an Equal Opportunity Employer