Artificial was born and hatched from the minds of two Playground founders. The team sits in Palo Alto a short walk from Caltrain with an on-site kitchen and roaming robots. A second office is on it's way in Austin, TX. Our founders bring decades of experience in technical product development and robotics infrastructure, with previous senior leadership and founding roles at Kuka AG, Microsoft, and Udacity.
Our team values the real-world impact of their work. Success is defined by high-quality execution: we expect everyone to work smart and at a sustainable pace, support their team, raise concerns early, keep us focused on what is most valuable, and be ready to roll with the punches that come with a startup.
In addition to working with a wide variety of technical and business challenges, we offer competitive compensation, stock options, full health benefits, a 401k plan, flexible vacation, a dog-friendly office, and lots of robots.
About the role
Artificial is looking for a software engineer with distributed systems experience. You will help design and build our platform to connect, monitor, and maintain fleets of autonomous and automated devices.
- Extensive experience developing products involving concurrency, synchronization, and failure recovery
- Knowledgeable of the practical trade-offs of distributed systems. Please respond exactly once.
- Excited about the challenges of working with physical devices in the real world
- Sound security fundamentals
- Comfort defining goals and roadmaps for execution in an ambiguous environment
- Very comfortable developing in a Linux environment
- Extensive experience delivery and maintaining products involving distributed systems challenges
- Knowledge of messaging and serialization formats: shared memory, sockets, RabbitMQ, ØMQ, gRPC, HTTP, Websockets, WebRTC, MQTT, JSON, BSON, CBOR, XML, msgpack, protobuf, should all sound familiar
- Solid grasp of local and distributed data management and experience with flat-file, schema'd and schema-less datastores, and data pipelines
- Mastery of Python and/or C++1x is preferred, interest in Erlang/Elixer, Go, Scala is helpful
- A degree or study in software engineering or computer science is preferred, but equivalent experience is welcome.
Artificial is an Equal Opportunity Employer