is harnessing computer science and biotechnology to build a best-in-class protein biodiscovery platform. In anticipation of our growth, we seek an experienced Patent Counsel
to support our business objectives through the protection of the company's intellectual property interests. As one of the first employees dedicated to intellectual property, you will work with Arbor’s senior leadership to craft and execute the company’s intellectual property and legal strategy.
- Draft, file and prosecute patent applications with a primary focus on the protection of protein system inventions
- Maintain a global prosecution docket by developing and implementing strategies for U.S. and foreign patent portfolios to strengthen and extend the company's intellectual property position
- Participate in research and development team meetings to counsel company scientists on patent issues, including identifying technologies of interest that are appropriate for patent protection and suggesting data to generate to support patent filings
- Educate scientists, engineers, and business teams on IP challenges
- Inspire and steer the ideation process and manage IP vs trade secret decision-making
- Perform patent searching to inform diligence projects and inform diligence teams, conduct patentability and freedom to operate searches, render opinions regarding validity, non-infringement, enforceability and FTO related to third party assets and patent estates
- Manage and foster external relationships with outside counsel
- Patent agent or attorney with 5+ years of experience in biopharma patent preparation and prosecution, with experience in the past 2 years preferably consisting of at least 50% patent application drafting and prosecution
- Ability to prosecute both protein- and gene-related patent portfolios with genetic systems composition of matter drafting and prosecution experience preferred
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Advanced knowledge of domestic and international laws, regulations, and processes relating to patents
- Interest and ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment
- Excellent organizational, time-management, written and oral communication skills
- Graduate degree in a biological science required, Ph.D. preferred
- Desire to evolve and scale Arbor’s current IP strategies with input from key stakeholders
- Experience prosecuting and drafting patents for computer software
- Experience prosecuting and drafting patents for molecular biology reagents and hardware technologies
is a venture-backed startup based in Cambridge, MA, composed of a small team of scientists and engineers pushing the boundaries of discovery at the intersection of computer science and biotechnology. Using our diverse backgrounds ranging from machine learning to genome engineering to protein biochemistry, we are building a platform to uncover and characterize nature’s inventions on an unprecedented scale to generate impactful applications in human health and sustainability.
We seek highly-motivated individuals with the dedication, integrity, and creative spirit needed to thrive in an innovative company. Working at Arbor offers a unique opportunity that combines the fast pace and growth opportunities of a startup with the intellectual rigor and creativity of academia. Our salaries are competitive, our benefits are generous, and our team is exceptional.
Arbor Biotechnologies is proud to be an inclusive workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.