Principal Software Engineer - Backend
What we’re looking for:
At Arable we operate at the intersection of innovative connected hardware, data science, and recommendation systems; and at the center of all of this are the data systems that run our IoT, ML, and applications systems. We are looking for experienced engineers to help architect and scale these systems, as well as grow our team and culture. If you’re motivated by working on the complex technical problems that can have a real positive impact on the world, we’d love to talk!
What we do:
At Arable, our goal is to connect all the world’s farms and provide the highest-quality data to power predictive analytics that will help optimize the global food system. This is an ambitious goal, but the need has never been greater to rethink how we will feed an ever-growing population and reduce our impact on natural resources. We believe the heart of the solution is digitizing the analog world with high-fidelity data to help food producers optimize their operations. If successful, we hope the impact of our work will improve the lives of farmers everywhere and be a major contribution to securing the global food supply for decades to come.
A few examples of the work we’re doing today:
● Helping farmers in India and China through improved insights into crop development
● Giving produce growers in California the tools to optimize production with less waste
● Helping irrigated farmers in Nebraska manage water more efficiently and sustainably to protect our water supply
What you will do:
● Build sensor and device management systems for large numbers of connected devices around the world
● Architect new systems to support novel sensors that unlock value for our customers
● Implement cutting-edge ML systems in production and at scale
● Build the back-end for API-driven products and full-stack applications
● Work closely with Data Science to deliver performant models at scale
● Architect innovative data storage solutions based on AWS
What you bring:
● 10+ years of experience working on complex technical systems
● BSCS, MSCS, or Ph.D. in CS or related technical field.
● Experience building and delivering cloud-based applications
● Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Proficiency in Python or similar programming languages
● Experience with RESTful API design
● Experience with Postgres, Redshift, S3, EC2, Sagemaker, Docker and SQL
● Experience implementing ML systems in production and at scale
● Experience using AWS
What we offer:
At Arable you will be joining a company of dedicated team players who bring together diverse expertise and a passion for building a more sustainable future. You’ll find no shortage of lively conversation around the lunch table about the food we eat and how it is produced. We are a fast-moving startup committed to providing a rewarding employee experience through the work we do, the team, compensation, and benefits including:
● Excellent medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k program
● Ability to work closely with customers who are hungry for our product, and where can make a positive impact on their livelihood and the world
● A focus on community involvement and career development
● We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.