What we’re looking for:
Arable is looking for an experienced measurements specialist to lead calibration and measurement for an integrated weather and plant monitoring system. This person will be working with a team of scientists to prototype, improve, and collaborate with end to end engineers to provide customers with actionable information based on the highest-quality data. If you’re motivated by working on the complex technical problems that can have a real positive impact on the world, we’d love to talk!
What we do:
At Arable, our goal is to connect all the world’s farms and provide the highest-quality data to power predictive analytics that will help optimize the global food system. This is an ambitious goal, but the need has never been greater to rethink how we will feed an ever-growing population and reduce our impact on natural resources. We believe the heart of the solution is digitizing the analog world with high-fidelity data to help food producers optimize their operations. If successful, we hope the impact of our work will improve the lives of farmers everywhere and be a major contribution to securing the global food supply for decades to come.
A few examples of the work we’re doing today:
- Helping farmers in India get what they need most: insurance in tough years.
- Giving produce growers in California the tools to optimize yields and minimize waste
- Helping irrigated farmers in Nebraska manage water more efficiently and sustainably to protect our water supply
What you will do:
- Develop and update calibrations for devices with a suite of radiometry, spectral, and disdrometer sensors. Methods span from bench to in situ analyses, with both traditional statistical and machine learning applications
- Create and maintain the data sets and systems necessary to constantly evaluate performance and update methodology
- Conceive proof-of-concept prototypes that establish overall system performance
- Research, develop, and prototype measurements for real-time crop monitoring and decision agriculture
- Analyze scalability and stability of deployed systems
- Contribute analytic skills to research and product-focused field projects
- Collaborate with team members from prototyping through production
- Engage with customers on measurement accuracy and approach of calibration
What you bring - basic qualifications:
- MS/Advanced degree in a science or engineering discipline using any of these technologies, or 5+ years product experience with radiometers & spectrometers.
- Experience with sensor calibration and validation
- Python and/or R experience, with a willingness to learn Python if it is not your primary language
- Statistical (e.x., linear models, PCA, ML), and analytic experience to assist with measurement correlates, biological forecasting, and analytic prototyping
- An understanding of large datasets, the application of calibrations and analytics in a wide range of environments, and the implications of scalability across the globe
- Team experience, specifically in cross-group collaborations with outstanding communication skills
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2018
- Experience validating and calibrating spectral data
- Experience using weather and plant monitoring data in agricultural or natural settings
What We Offer:
At Arable you will be joining a company of dedicated team players who bring together diverse expertise and a passion for building a more sustainable future. You’ll find no shortage of lively conversation around the lunch table about the food we eat and how it is produced. We are a fast-moving startup committed to providing a rewarding employee experience through the work we do, the team, compensation, and benefits including:
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k program
- Ability to work closely with customers who are hungry for our product, and where can make a positive impact on their livelihood and the world
- A focus on community involvement and career development
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.