Hiring: Q2/Q3 2019
AppHarvest is building large-scale glass greenhouses in Central Appalachia with a goal to make Eastern Kentucky the greenhouse capital of the United States. Rise of the Rest is an investor in AppHarvest. The fund, managed by AOL co-founder Steve Case and best-selling author JD Vance, is backed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, Starbucks Chairman Howard Shultz and designer Tory Burch. Utilizing revolutionary growing techniques, AppHarvest will supply sustainable produce to consumers nationally.
Imagine being a part of a company developing over 100 acres of hi-tech greenhouses under glass. As the Human Resources Manager, you will be responsible for managing HR operations at AppHarvest’s hydroponic greenhouse facility and supporting the corporate HR team to ensure that greenhouse policies and programs are consistent with company culture and objectives.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and implement human resources plans and procedures for the facility’s employees
- Develops, recommends, and implements new policies and procedures to continually improve efficiencies of the department.
- Analyzes trends and metrics and partners with leaders to develop and implement solutions.
- Assists in the development of the facility's goals, objectives, and systems.
- Administers employee compensation.
- Carries out employee benefits programs including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Oversees the employee performance evaluation program and implements revisions as necessary.
- Participates in recruitment efforts for openings at position levels.
- Oversees new-employee orientation and other onboarding activities.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, seminars, and events as necessary.
- Develops contract terms for new employees, promotions, and transfers.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relation issues, conducting thorough and objective investigations when necessary.
- Monitors training programs to ensure the facility’s objectives are met.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge legal requirements related to labor management and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Works closely with management and employees to implement AppHarvest company culture; build good work relationships; and ensure high morale, productivity, and retention.
- Provides guidance and performance management to management and team leaders through coaching, career development, counseling, and disciplinary actions.
- Develops HR policy in collaboration with AppHarvest corporate management and ensures effective implementation of policies.
- Plans, develops, and maintains relationships with employment partners, universities, and other recruitment sources.
- Manages the greenhouse HR team.
- Develops and implements employee recognition standards and guides departmental employee recognition programs.
- Strong organization skills
- Time management
- Problem solving
- Collaborative skills
- Self- motivated
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources.
- Five years of related Human Resources work experience.
- Experience managing Human Resources for a company with more than 250 employees is a plus.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources is a plus.
Our Core Values:
- Grit and Tenacity. You embrace challenges with courage and resolve. Your strength of character and work ethic define you.
- Passion and Dedication to Sustainability. You constantly strive for excellence as you drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and seek to improve lives in the community.
- Proactive and Entrepreneurial. You embody a “we can figure it out” mentality and challenge any notion that “this can’t be done.” You’re not afraid to tackle big problems through rapid experimentation to create long-term impact.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. You operate openly and honestly, taking full responsibility for your actions.
- Collaborative and Inspiring Leadership. You seek opportunities to strengthen team culture and work more effectively. You constantly challenge and inspire your fellow team members.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary.
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) match.