AppHarvest is building large-scale high-tech greenhouses in Central Appalachia with a goal to make Eastern Kentucky the AgTech capital of America. Our mission is backed by ValueAct Capital Founder and CEO Jeffrey W. Ubben and Revolution’s Rise of the Rest Seed Fund, led by AOL Co-founder Steve Case and best-selling author J.D. Vance.
As the Human Resources Manager, you will be responsible for managing HR operations at AppHarvest’s hydroponic greenhouse facility and supporting the corporate HR team to ensure that greenhouse policies and programs are consistent with company culture and objectives.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and implement human resources plans and procedures for the facility’s employees
- Develop, recommend, and implement new policies and procedures to continually improve efficiencies of the department.
- Analyze trends and metrics and partners with leaders to develop and implement solutions.
- Assist in the development of the facility's goals, objectives, and systems.
- Administer employee compensation.
- Carry out employee benefits programs including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Oversee the employee performance evaluation program and implements revisions as necessary.
- Participate in recruitment efforts for openings at position levels.
- Oversee new-employee orientation and other onboarding activities.
- Participate in administrative staff meetings and attend other meetings, seminars, and events as necessary.
- Develop contract terms for new employees, promotions, and transfers.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relation issues, conducting thorough and objective investigations when necessary.
- Monitor training programs to ensure the facility’s objectives are met.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge legal requirements related to labor management and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Work closely with management and employees to implement AppHarvest company culture; build good work relationships; and ensure high morale, productivity, and retention.
- Provide guidance and performance management to management and team leaders through coaching, career development, counseling, and disciplinary actions.
- Develop HR policy in collaboration with AppHarvest corporate management and ensures effective implementation of policies.
- Plan, develop, and maintain relationships with employment partners, universities, and other recruitment sources.
- Manage the greenhouse HR team.
- Develop and implement employee recognition standards and guides departmental employee recognition programs.
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources.
- Five years of related Human Resources work experience.
- Experience managing Human Resources for a company with more than 250 employees is a plus.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources is a plus.
Our Core Values:
- Grit and Tenacity. You embrace challenges with courage and resolve. Your strength of character and work ethic define you.
- Passion and Dedication to Sustainability. You constantly strive for excellence as you drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and seek to improve lives in the community.
- Proactive and Entrepreneurial. You embody a “we can figure it out” mentality and challenge any notion that “this can’t be done.” You’re not afraid to tackle big problems through rapid experimentation to create long-term impact.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. You operate openly and honestly, taking full responsibility for your actions.
- Collaborative and Inspiring Leadership. You seek opportunities to strengthen team culture and work more effectively. You constantly challenge and inspire your fellow team members.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) match
- People-oriented culture
AppHarvest, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.