Hiring: Q4 2019/Q1 2020
AppHarvest is building large-scale glass greenhouses in Central Appalachia with a goal to make Eastern Kentucky the greenhouse capital of the United States. Rise of the Rest is an investor in AppHarvest. The fund, managed by AOL co-founder Steve Case and best-selling author JD Vance, is backed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, Starbucks Chairman Howard Shultz and designer Tory Burch. Utilizing revolutionary growing techniques, AppHarvest will supply sustainable produce to consumers nationally.
Imagine being a part of a company developing over 100 acres of hi-tech greenhouses under glass. As the Labor Manager, you will ensure that greenhouse work is completed in a timely and productive manner.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensures greenhouse work is completed in a timely and productive manner, including twisting, pruning, picking, etc.
- Assists the Human Resources Department with the recruiting.
- Coordinates training with new hires to ensure job shadowing program and process understanding is maintained.
- Ensures employees’ compliance with safety protocols.
- Spends one-on-one time with employees to ensure that greenhouse standards are being met.
- Ensures good communication with all employees.
- Schedules employees and equipment, including coordinating vacation/leave requests.
- Assists with the supervision of annual tasks including clean-out and new crop planting when required.
- Works with Crop Care Supervisors to establish work schedules and procedures.
- Assists with department reporting as necessary.
- Resolves work related issues using company procedures and disciplinary processes.
- Prepares and submits quality reports to the General Manager.
- Completes employee reviews.
- Maintains knowledge of food safety guidelines.
- Assists Food Safety Manager with the enforcement of food safety guidelines within the greenhouse.
- Completes necessary food safety paperwork as necessary.
- Mentors greenhouse staff and keeps them motivated.
- Results Driven
- Detail Oriented
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
- Collaborative Skills
- Time Management
- Strong Organization Skills
- Communication Proficiency
- Decision Making
- Undergraduate degree and three or more years of Supervisory/Management experience in a related field or High School Diploma/G.E.D. and five or more years of Supervisory/Management experience.
- Experience in a GMP/HACCP facility environment is a plus.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Literacy with MS Office products.
Our Core Values:
- Grit and Tenacity. You embrace challenges with courage and resolve. Your strength of character and work ethic define you.
- Passion and Dedication to Sustainability. You constantly strive for excellence as you drive positive environmental change in the agriculture industry and seek to improve lives in the community.
- Proactive and Entrepreneurial. You embody a “we can figure it out” mentality and challenge any notion that “this can’t be done.” You’re not afraid to tackle big problems through rapid experimentation to create long-term impact.
- Radical Transparency and Trust. You operate openly and honestly, taking full responsibility for your actions.
- Collaborative and Inspiring Leadership. You seek opportunities to strengthen team culture and work more effectively. You constantly challenge and inspire your fellow team members.
Occasional local day travel may be necessary.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary.
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) match.