Performance Test Engineer
Yankees, Angels, Eagles, Seahawks, Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, Bonnaroo… the biggest names in entertainment are our customers. We power the tech behind every t-shirt, hotdog, and drink sold at these venues, and at a global list of other clients that you just wouldn’t believe. Appetize is seeking a Performance Testing Engineer in the Quality Assurance organization with a deep understanding of how software products work, how they interact with each other and, most importantly, a strong understanding of how to validate software performance at the enterprise level. This role will be experienced in working with tech and product teams and defining and executing performance testing strategies with automation as a core component to enable agile and continuous testing. The Performance test engineer will establish best testing practices, drive tool selection/implementation, techniques and strategies that will help and significantly increase the quality of applications performance.
- Has thorough understanding of technical concepts required for specialized field.
- Has extensive product knowledge, keen understanding of business values and client knowledge
- Uses that knowledge, creativity and company practices and priorities to obtain solutions to complex problems.
- Provides work leadership to others. Interfaces with senior management to provide and obtain information and to build consensus regarding project direction.
Competencies - Behavior
- Creative – develops and presents many varied and unique ideas. (Creativity)
- Politically Astute – understands and can react to the politics inherent in organization structures. (Organizational Agility) Works on problems of diverse scope.
- Participates in the design, development, evaluation, and troubleshooting of systems or major subsystems.
- Participates in architecture definition.
- Expected to deliver resilient, robust, durable designs. (Problem Solving)
- Responsible for contributing to departmental schedules and for delivery of error free assigned projects within the overall timeframe established by upper management. (Managing and Measuring Work)
- Understanding of Software engineering and testing methodologies in the context of large scale enterprise systems.
- Participate and represent performance and scaling needs in product and feature design with developers, usability specialists, user interface designers, and product managers.
Competencies - Technical
The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate working knowledge of the following concepts or technologies:
- Programming, frameworks and tools:
- Strong knowledge of an Object Oriented Programming Language: Python or Java
- Experience testing APIs/Microservices and Data platforms
- Extensive experience using JMeter
- Make improvements to automation frameworks
- Can troubleshoot API issues
- Ability to define test strategy Performance Testing:
- Strong working knowledge of REST data transmission protocols Baseline, throughput, response times, and resource utilization Understand load and performance testing concepts:
- Ability to write load/performance test scripts
- Ability to setup complex test scenarios to model production workloads.
- Experience with cloud-based application scalability, stress & concurrency testing tools Knowledge and experience working with JMeter, Locust, Gatling, and/or Artillery Execute, monitor, analyze, and report performance test findings.
- Work with Developers and Client(s) teams to understand project requirements and create real-world test cases and use cases
- Work with the manual testing team to help find solutions for testing including writing one-off scripts
- Collect performance data, profile the code and identify bottlenecks
- Oversee system performance lifecycle and identify key metrics for performance improvements
- Proven experience with development and maintenance of performance tests in large-scale multi-tenant web applications
- Provide technical assistance during development to improve system performance, capacity, reliability and scalability
- Identify project risks and make recommendations to minimize risks related to performance bottlenecks; ability to anticipate
- Work with Project /Test Data Management Teams to establish test data in sufficient quantity to support the performance testing effort
Degree of Supervision
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments.
- Receives direction in terms of the desired outcome or strategic objective.
- Regularly generate performance reports for management review
- Ability to work weekends based on Project Demands and based on short notification in a fast paced environment.
- A comprehensive understanding of gRPC and Protocol Buffer
- Hands-on experience with network diagnostics and network analytics tools Experience working with Kubernetes and Docker