Apogee Research, LLC conducts research and development of advanced computer network operations (CNO) and intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities to improve national security. Our focus is to bring cutting-edge research into practice for the Intelligence and DoD communities. We blend agility with rigor to deliver innovative and demonstrably effective solutions. Our team is customer-focused and passionate about delivering solutions to fill critical unmet needs efficiently.
Apogee Research is seeking strong Research Engineers for lead and principal engineer positions in Arlington, VA. The ideal candidate will be experienced in advanced research and software design, development, and analysis. This job requires a security clearance; therefore any applicant must be a US CITIZEN and must work on site in Northern Virginia. Full-time employment inquiries only (no consultants please).
Apogee Research performs research and rapid prototyping to solve some of the hardest problems in computer systems and network security. At Apogee Research you will:
- Work with a world-class team of researchers and developers tackling problems considered too difficult or too risky for commercial markets
- Work in small teams of 4-8 technical people
- Jump into the deep end of the pool and learn something new every day
- Work for US Government R&D customers for agencies such as DARPA
- Participate in all aspects of the software R&D life cycle, from brainstorming and software and system design through testing and delivery
Responsibilities will be assigned based on your abilities and interests. Work we are looking to cover now:
- Development of Loadable Kernel Modules (Linux) to monitor software behavior and enforce security properties for advanced intrusion detection and response systems
- Development of reverse-engineering tools that can automate the analysis of embedded software for the presence of malicious behavior
- Development and analysis of ad hoc IPSec-based routing overlay protocols intended to drive networks towards a trustworthy state.
- Development, analysis, and control of interacting software agents intended to both observe and create network effects in both LAN and WAN environments.
- Research, development, and analysis of stochastic systems, including detection, estimation, and control
- Performance analysis and optimization of a large-scale, multi-tool/multi-language analytics system.
Minimum Skills and Experience:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering or other relevant fields.
- 3-6 years of relevant work experience, depending on degree.
- Deep understanding of computational systems and networks, including Windows and/or Linux internals, and/or embedded systems.
- Solid software engineering and object-oriented development skills and knowledge of languages such as C++, Java, Ruby, Python, assembly.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both written word and presentation.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and remain well organized in a fast-paced environment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Networking code development (device drivers, firewalls, routers, usage of tun/tap devices, Wireshark, etc.)
- Operating system internals, kernel, and device driver development
- VMware, VirtualBox, Docker, or other virtualization, container or sandbox technologies
- Network protocol development and analysis techniques
- Security topics like fuzzing, memory analysis, malware techniques, cryptography, etc.
- Agile software development and Continuous Integration and Deployment environments
U.S. Citizenship is required along with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance. This position is based in Arlington, VA. No relocation assistance will be provided.