Duration: 12 months with potential to extend
Location: Irvine, TX
• This is a “Boots on the Ground” position that will promote the SPPAL safety philosophy daily throughout the three buildings that make up the Dallas campus, and at other sites or facilities as required.
• Promotes a positive culture of safety and hazard awareness throughout the company.
• Willingness and ability to travel, if required, to the various SPPAL locations for training and other related duties as assigned.
• Must have a solid understanding of OSHA Standards including but not limited to, Hazard Communication, Powered Industrial Trucks, PPE, Respiratory Protection, Energy Isolation Procedures (LOTO), Fall Protection, as well as EPA RCRA regulations.
• Should be capable of professionally conducting Job Hazard Analyses and Risk Assessments, internal safety audits, and provide recommendations and corrective actions when applicable.
• Conduct investigations on accidents, near misses and other mishaps and provide detailed, accurate, and complete written reports of incidents.
• Oversees New Hire Safety Orientation Training, on-going safety subjects, and annual OSHA training that is conducted for current employees.
• Participate on the Safety Committee to ensure that regular meetings are being conducted. Review minutes of meetings and ensure that safety issues/hazards identified are corrected in a timely manner.
• Ensures that information for OSHA 300 logs are being recorded and maintained.
• Ensures all forklift, crane and hoist operators are certified and that recertification training has been conducted in a timely manner.
• Ensure up-to-date facility safety and emergency evacuation plans are in place.
• Reports monthly to the EH&S Officer on training, compliance, safety and workers’ compensation issues and identifies plans of action for improvement.
• Ensures that SDS and regulatory posters are kept up to date.
• Maintains records of all training programs as they relate to environmental, health and safety topics.
• Ensures that all employees have proper Personal Protective Equipment and that PPE is being worn/used in a proper manner.
• Ensures that all state and federal environmental codes and regulations are being monitored and adhered to.
• Physically capable of walking, standing, stooping and bending for an 8 hour work day.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned by the EH&S Officer or Manager.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Minimum Associates degree in Occupational Health & Safety or Industrial Hygiene field. Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety or other related area of study desired.
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the Environmental Health & Safety field in a manufacturing environment preferred.
• Team Player approach required. Must be able to easily communicate issues and problems to team mates and work with them to create effective solutions.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as governmental regulations, safety rules, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write reports and correspondence in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability to teach and speak effectively before groups of management and/or employees regarding safety information and training topics.
• Ability to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where only a limited amount of information may be available.
• Ability to use MS WORD, Excel, MS Outlook, Power Point and Internet to perform research and retrieve EHS information with proficiency is required.
Certificates and Licenses
• Safety certification(s) from recognized certifying body (ASSP, BCSP, OSHA) highly desirable.
• OSHA Authorized Trainer and First Aid/CPR/AED instructor certified desirable.
• Valid driver’s license with a driving record which is acceptable to the company’s insurance carrier for driving on company business or in a company/rental vehicle.