Title: Accounts Payable Analyst
Location: Emeryville, CA 94608
Duration: 10 Months (9/28/19)
Under the direct supervision of the Accounting Manager, this position is responsible for providing technical assistance in the planning and implementation of automated systems for the Hospital’s Accounts Payable department. S/he will provide technical assistance in identifying and defining issues; evaluate and identify methods and means for resolution; assist the Manager in implementation through written and verbal communication of Accounts Payable systems and procedures. This position interacts with various departments within the organization, any of the Hospital’s vendors or service providers, and various IT internal groups. S/he will also provide analytical problem-solving and research support to the Accounting Manager. This includes assisting the Accounting Manager in ensuring accurate and timely accounts payable processing and independently training the accounts payable staff in both the technical procedures of accounts payable and in the use of additional computer-based tools as they become available.
1. Monitor all non-payroll payment processes to ensure accurate and timely disbursements. Develop, document, and direct procedures for collection and maintenance of vendor data, including name, address, terms, tax reporting information, and payment handling in the A/P system.
2. Responsible for lead in software issue resolution; Work with software manufacturers and BCHO & UCSF technology teams to research and resolve software processing issues
3. Establish and direct procedures for addressing past due invoices and regularly monitor vendor accounts with credit memo amounts in excess of invoice totals, and take necessary steps to collect amounts due the Hospital; Review, research and resolve all open items on vendor statements and vendor inquiries
4. Work regularly with Procurement to ensure vendor invoices are processed properly and timely, as well as assist with analysis of older, open purchase orders
5. Responsible for Accounts Payable department credit card purchases and statement reconciliation
6. Understand and be familiar with IRS requirements regarding year-end Form 1099 reporting. Obtain necessary tax information from vendors. Utilize A/P system capabilities to ensure complete and accurate tax reporting of amounts paid to vendors. Properly collect and report payment records annually via Forms 1099 and 1096.
7. Process patient refunds. Upload data files from EPIC and print all backup. Work with patient accounting to ensure refund checks are processed and sent in a timely manner
8. Schedule and prepare weekly check run. Also, evaluate requests for check generation outside of the normal production schedule for urgency and appropriateness. When deemed necessary, produce demand checks. Coordinate delivery to requesting party
9. Understands and is familiar with state sales tax regulations and their application. Identifies transactions requiring system accrual of sales tax and records such transactions appropriately in PMM.
10. Provides excellent customer service to both employees and vendors. Answers phones and provides timely and accurate responses to inquiries. Researches requests and processes corrections as necessary, including voiding/stop payment of checks, communication with vendors to request refunds, etc.
11. Understands, supports, promotes and adheres to the customer service philosophy and standards of the Hospital.
12. Complies with established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
1. Provides back-up coverage and support to other clerical staff.
2. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested such as, opening and distributing incoming mail, filing invoices, preparing invoices for scanning and ordering supplies, etc.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory/Management Responsibilities: None
Communications Required: Strong verbal communication skills
Decision-Making Required: N/A
Problem-Solving Required: Ability to resolve basic problems and works independently and as part of a team
Financial Responsibilities: N/A
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong time management skills
Ability to multi-task in time-sensitive environment
Ability to resolve issues and maintain good relationships
Personal computer basics, including sign-on/use of computer mouse.
Excel experience and proficiency highly preferred
Numeric data entry by touch (10-key adding machine and keyboard)
Minimum Education: High School or equivalent
Education Notes: AA or BS preferred
Minimum Experience: 3 – 5 years of previous accounts payable experience with a large company, preferably in a hospital or other healthcare setting.