Job title – Sr. Telecom Engineer
Job location – Reno NV
Length – Contract (12 Months+)
Need to know optical networking
Will Design fiber optics
Setup microwave systems
Microwave reader system knowledge preferable
Work either at substation or plant
Need to know hierarchy of signals
Telecommunications experience in utilities
Waste water etc companies experience is also good..
Bachelors degree preferably in EE.
Looking for people who can do the design work
10-20% travel may be involved.
The Senior Network Engineer will design, implement, and enhance utility’s telecommunication transport network – Carrier Ethernet, MPLS, SONET/TDM; Provide professional SCADA/RTU system engineering services associated with electric power and distribution system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) and a consultant to other business units related to communication network and SCADA/RTU implementation
• Design and integrate new RTUs install with the existing SCADA/RTU/EMS system
• Designs the end-to-end communication network including wireless, wireline, optical network for RTU communications
• Select hardware, software, and communication protocol (DNP, Harris) that are compliant with the industry and company’s standard
• Create design package for implementation, including panel layout, wiring diagram, RTU point list, and network connectivity circuit diagram
• Interface with various energy delivery departments including Distribution, Transmission, and System Control
• Support company-wide project activities related to the RTU solution, design, and installation
• Propose budget recommendations for future and on-going maintenance projects
• Recommend standards related to RTU hardware/software selection, interfaces, and installation
• Analyze system problems and recommend solutions
• Provide support for third-level troubleshooting
• Write RFPs for equipment procurement and competitive bidding
• Propose projects to improve SCADA/RTU system reliability, and participate in planning network expansion, upgrades, and replacement as a team member
• Understand and comply with all policies, codes and regulations applicable to the position and Company
• Perform related duties as assigned
• Delivery engineering design package on time
Essential Education, Skills, and Environment
Education and Work Experience
Possess Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or Computer Science with combined 7 years of experience in telecommunications, IP/MPLS networking, or utility SCADA/RTU design.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of circuit design - Ethernet, MPLS, SONET, TDM, multiplexing DS3/ T1s
• Experience with IP subnet, IP routing, MPLS provisioning a plus
• Demonstrate knowledge of design and construction of microwave and fiber optical communication system
• Familiar with SCADA/RTU equipment suppliers and their current offerings
• Demonstrate knowledge of structured programming, and RTU communication protocols
• Demonstrate knowledge of EMS/SCADA RTU architecture
• Demonstrated oral and written communication, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
Equipment and Applications
PCs, word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General office environment.
No special physical demands required.
A little About Us:
APN Software is a leader in contingent and permanent staffing, providing organizations of all sizes with a continuum of staffing solutions to enhance business agility and competitiveness. APN delivers innovative staffing solutions which are agile enough to meet the rapidly changing talent needs of today’s world of work. With over 20 years of experience no matter what form these solutions take – short-term assignments, permanent placement or workforce management programs – we provide rapid access to highly qualified talent and a better approach to matching the right associate with the right position resulting in better business results.
APN Software takes great pride in being recognized by prestigious organizations on a global, national and local level. But more importantly, the recognition as a “Top Workplace” demonstrates our ongoing commitment to our workforce. Being a “Top workplace” and a “Top Diversity Business” award recipient underscores our dedication to our corporate vision, character and values
APN Software Service INC