Job title – Database Analyst & Admin
Job Location – Alpharetta GA
Length – Contract (12 Months+)
1. Position Summary:
This job is responsible for providing database analysis/design, management and day to day administration of the reporting databases.
• Managing the database artifacts and providing subject matter expertize on best practices for creation, deployment and ongoing management of databases in a reporting/BI environment
• Monitoring daily/other database jobs and data loads and proactive resolution of issues to ensure maximum uptime/availability of database for reporting
• Designing databases and some data sourcing/ETL requirements for efficient use in reporting and BI
• Performing routine database administration activities including setup login credentials for users & administer general security measures on database, to resolve and troubleshoot database access/other database issues, handle the backing up process of the database & its inspection
• Provide support and participate in design and implementation of ETL processes and procedures
This may involve working with Philips internal business process owners, business SME's (i.e. subject matter experts) and IT teams to manage data loads or other database activities, analysis of the reporting/ business intelligence tools to ensure optimal use of database.
This position requires little supervision and participates in team strategizing, and vision execution/ implementation of the reporting & BI strategies supporting from a database stand point, collaborates with other team members/BAs in supporting shared/common reporting needs and projects.
2. Key Responsibilities/Duties:
Database Design, Management/Administration – 70-80% of time includes the following activities:
• Design & Develop dimensional and normalized data models describing data elements and how they are used, following standard data modeling practices for a Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence platform. Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database creating a data dictionary.
• Build database schema, tables, procedures and users/user access levels for each segment of database and modify existing databases and database management systems. Setup database for appropriate data sharing and disk partitioning, Test programs or databases, correct errors and make necessary modifications.
• Oversee backup, clustering, mirroring, replication and failover. Restore and recover corrupted databases . Implement security and encryption to the database and data source files to safeguard information against accidental or unauthorized use, modification or disclosure.
• Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new data sourcing packages/jobs and improvements to existing data acquisition including setup of new data sources.
• Analyze, consolidate and tune database for optimal efficiency, monitor systems and platforms for availability, Monitor database jobs for timely and accurate completion, and monitor capacity and performance of database and jobs for effective uptime and response time to the consumers of the data.
• Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations. Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time required to accomplish project.
Support ETL Design & Implementation – 20-30% of time includes the following activities:
• Support development of the ETL architecture/design and developing a solution in highly demanding environment. Identify, recommend and implement best practice ETL process and architecture improvements
• Implement, maintain and enhance ETL solution fulfilling data quality, availability, data freshness and performance requirements, working with the business & data analysts to understand the business requirements to be fulfilled by the data, assessing requirements for completeness and accuracy.
• Develop methods for integrating different data sources so they work properly together, such as customizing standard source system/product databases to fit specific needs. Analyze and interpret all complex data on target system and analyze and provide resolutions to all data issues and coordinate with analysts to validate all requirements.
• A four-year degree in a technical/ business related field
• Certification: Preferred in SQL Server development/ETL design & development.
APN Software Service INC