Chicago, IL - 60607
Duration 3 months
Project Managers own project launch, planning, control, and delivery against timeline and budget metrics
for assignments within their area of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Effectively manages projects of complex scope leading the project team to execute against timeline and budget metrics. Creates a clear project Scope statement, and builds a supporting plan which effectively factors in resource availability, task durations and dependencies, budgets and costs. Includes simple Risk Management plans. Understands the makeup of the project/team and directs supervision to the areas of greatest need.
· Checks progress regularly against the plan and makes adjustments to optimize execution.
Documents progress against the project plan throughout the project. Formulates status reports and
presents to the team and immediate manager. Status reports are expected to be concise summaries, tailored to the audience - from VPs down to individual contributors. Personally knowledgeable on most aspects of the program, down to a reasonable level of detail according to criticality.
· Recognized as an "expert" in the business function and processes in which the program is operating. Can use business/process expertise to identify potential issues, challenge assumptions and effectively participate in solutions discussions. Able to use this knowledge in status updates and presentations, and provide clarifying information where necessary. May represent or act as proxy for business lead.
· Has the ability to see cross-functional impacts of decisions and project plans and execution. Balances
scope, schedule and budget considerations to adjust the project with minimal impact to the business.
· Independently engages additional resources as needed to address obstacles or delays.Adjusts the plan per management guidelines as delays or obstacles are experienced.
· May manage several large programs or numerous smaller complex programs with cross-functional teams in numerous locations and timezones. May lead the program through delegation and oversight of less senior project managers.
· Uses advanced techniques such as Monte Carlo Analysis to determine high-likelihood program
durations. Performs critical path analysis to optimize the schedule and minimize the overall duration
of the program
· Demonstrates advanced knowledge of PMI PMBOK and advanced Project/Program Management techniques and approaches. Able to review a number of Project Management techniques and select the most effective ones based on project context. Working knowledge of leading-edge technologies such as Monte Carlo schedule analysis, Critical Chain management, etc. Experience with a broad array of project management tools and technologies. Makes recommendations, implements new policies, change initiatives, procedures and tools as necessary or requested.
· May oversee the work of or directly supervise Project Managers and / or Project Coordinators
Preferred Education: Master’s degree
Preferred Work Experience (years): 12 or more years experience including minimum 2 years as team supervisor / manager
Key Skills and Competencies:
· Advanced communication and facilitation skills, including
conflict management. Formal training preferred
· Advanced presentation skills. Demonstrated comfort in
presenting to executive level cross functional audiences.
· Demonstrated expert knowledge of advanced concepts
with project management approaches, tools and methodologies. PMP certification preferred. Ability to coach / mentor less senior PMs in PM fundamentals.
· Advanced skills in PC based documentation tools
including MS Office and MS Project
· Advanced skills in delegation and follow up
· Demonstrated expert knowledge / experience of
technical business unit assigned to (Engineering, Supply