Duration: 12 months- potential to convert into full time
The Polymer Chemist will focus on all synthetic work for the organization. The main chemistries are silicones, acrylics, urethanes, and epoxies. Other small molecule synthesis work occurs as the need arises.
• Synthesis of new polymers for use in medical devices
• Rational design of polymer architectures to achieve targeted properties.
• Characterization of polymer microstructure.
• Characterization of macroscopic properties, including thermal, rheological, and mechanical.
• Correlation of polymer structure with observed properties.
• Work with multiple functions within the organization to drive novel coating systems to commercialization.
• Develop intellectual property protection for key innovations.
• Supervise associate investigator(s), organize work flow, including setting and meeting key deadlines.
• Provide technical mentorship to junior level colleagues.
Specific Technical Requirements:
• PhD in Organic/Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Science, or Materials Science.
• A minimum of seven (7) years prior industrial experience, including experience with the synthesis of acrylics or polyurethanes.
• Demonstrated ability to work, collaborate, and contribute in a team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and influence peers.
• More than 7 years of synthetic industrial experience since your PhD.
• Experience with polymerization and synthesis of silicones, acrylics, or urethanes.
Completes a wide variety of complex technical assignments. Performs complex tests or investigations pertaining to the development of new designs, methods, materials, or processes and investigates possible application of results. Obtains, correlates, and analyzes technical information needed to accomplish complex tasks. Completes the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and other documents and advises senior staff. Reviews and approves related inputs such as complex drawings and specifications prepared by technical support personnel. Coordinates with engineering support to arrange for the production of complex experimental runs or for the construction of experimental models and special test equipment.