Title: Data Center Technician/Networking
Location: Austin, TX
Duration: 9 months Contract
· We are currently looking for a Data Center Technician/Networking candidate to join our team in Round Rock TX.
· The Customer Solution Centers (CSC) Data Center Technician candidate should have experience with working in a data center environment.
· Candidate should have experience racking and cabling enterprise gear (servers and network switches).
· Should have sufficient enterprise racking and cabling of gear, as well as hardware troubleshooting and testing skills.
· This position is not customer facing, but may have to help a customer change out hardware or make lower lever software/management changes.
· Team/project leader on one or more initiatives or projects Play a proactive role in developing and applying new approaches to data center management
· Provides limited guidance and leadership to lower level team members; develops and conducts technical training programs
· Supports multiple activities related to the Data Center infrastructure
· Performs data analysis and provides recommendations in presentation format in support of IT projects
· Evaluates implemented solutions and practices, identifies opportunities and recommends solutions for continuous improvements
· Performs a variety of complex tasks with regards to the development of processes, procedures, automation tool implementation, and deployment of software tools
· Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
· Maintains up-to-date knowledge of information systems technology
· Works with users, cross-functional technical staffs and all levels of management to translate requirements into documented processes and procedures
· Acts as liaison with other cross-functional groups and management personnel to ensure accuracy and timeliness of production and non-production activities
· Provides operational support for data backups and specific software products and tools deployed within data center
· Racking and stacking enterprise servers and networking switches
· Cabling enterprise hardware per reference architectures or customer requests
· Troubleshooting all hardware, server, and management tools(iDRAC and VMware)
· Managing and inventory all hardware, servers, and networking switches
· Installing Operating systems either Microsoft or Linux based distributions
· Working with other members of the team to complete Proof of Concepts (POC)
· Periodic inspections of assigned data centers to ensure policies are being upheld
· Responsible for floor space allocations and related rack and rack peripheral infrastructure build out to accommodate hardware installations and moves
· Responsible for generating and communicating Data Center metrics
· Responsible for management of data center operations–owned inventory
· Communicates provisions of data center policies and standards to the corporation and facilitates customer understanding of processes and procedures
· Plans and coordinates with various cross-functional teams and vendors to ensure present and future capacity/scalability
· Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in enterprise level datacenters work
· Experience working in a data center environment
· Experience racking and cabling enterprise hardware
· Must be able to lift at least 50lbs, climb ladders, and work in a non-air-conditioned environment
· Have a good understanding of hardware and how they work
· Being able to troubleshoot hardware errors as well as management software
· Ability to setup, configure, and install various rack mounted hardware
· Basic knowledge of systems management tools (iDRAC)
· Must be able to work well with others and have good communication skills
· Installing operating systems like CentOS, RedHat, VMware and Microsoft is a plus