Electronics Hardware Engineer for Rail Automation R&D team in the domain of embedded systems for rail signaling and onboard equipment. The role of the Electronics Hardware Engineer will include responsibilities regarding design and development for new and enhancements of existing products. Successful candidate will possess a solid understanding of electrical engineering, inclusive of analog and digital design practices, along with some background knowledge in signal processing and/or network communications, have experience with implementation of printed circuit board design and be capable of translating functional requirements into efficient working designs.
Candidates for the position must have strong written and verbal communication skills and have the ability to work independently, yet collaboratively, in multidisciplinary team environment. Candidates will utilize their technical expertise to provide imaginative, thorough, practicable, and organizationally aligned solutions to an array of difficult developmental and sustaining challenges. Candidates must be comfortable with the application of technical theories and concepts in developmental environments and have some level of general knowledge of other related disciplines such as software engineering, FPGA development, and system engineering. Candidates must be comfortable in an environment where quick, innovative and cost saving solutions work hand in hand with trouble shooting and sustaining of existing design platforms.
This Role will include the following responsibilities:
• Reviews complex specifications and other documentation to determine hardware engineering requirements.
• Develops complex design, development, testing, and modification of new electronics hardware.
• Completes complex maintenance, enhancement, testing and support of existing hardware.
• Generates design documents, block diagrams, BOM’s and test plans
• Develops board level test procedures and conducts board level bench testing.
• Works independently and in teams depending on project needs.
• Applies advanced skills to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently.
• Displays a high level of critical thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-functional problems.
• Demonstrates and applies knowledge of electronics design to the successful completion of complex assignments.
• Demonstrates strong knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of electronics design.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
• Qualified applicants will have 6+ years of successful experience in a directly related field and successful demonstration of designing complex mixed-signal electronics hardware featuring ADCs/DACs, (POL) DC/DC converters, Analog and Digital I/O, ICs, FPGAs, Processors, Microcontrollers, etc.
• Qualified applicants will have a strong comprehension of PCB development environments and PCB development tool flows along with proven ability to design, implement, sustain and document electronics designs from component level specifications. Ability to perform initial hardware check-out and debug. Hands-on bringing up testing and validation of boards designed.
• Qualified applicants will have a working knowledge of VHDL, Verilog, and/or System Verilog HDL languages.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Advanced Degree preferred, Masters, PhD, or MBA. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience.
• Schematic design for multi-layer PCB design. Guide PCB layout designer from placement to finish.
• Experience with Schematic designs in Board Station, PADS, and/or eXpedition
• Understanding of design principles (FMEA Analysis, Reliability Analysis).
• Background in analog signal processing and/or applications
• Knowledge of FCC guidelines for emissions and susceptibility.
• Knowledge of communication hardware design, e.g. serial, usb, ethernet, etc.
• Proven ability to define and perform component level integration and test plans
• Proven ability to resolve integration and test issues in hands-on lab environments
• Experience in designing Fail-Safe electronics
• Rail product printed circuit board design experience