Location: Chicago IL
Duration: 6-7 months
The role is responsible for supporting the financial accounting period close processes and related software systems. This position will help maintain the general ledger of the North America Global Services business, including reviewing and posting journals and intercompany charges, ensuring accurate balances and proper reconciliations exists. Role will also support a 3 to 6 month project to assist in building a database to capture detailed IT costs and then generating intercompany involves to charge over 250 Units.
Please list the most important and relevant responsibilities
The role will ensure the Global Services Unit’s financials are accurate and in accordance with the Finance Manual and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as well as monitor and ensure internal controls are in place and functioning. Although the role reports to the MGS Controller, the position will support the MGS North America Regional Accounting Manager on a majority of the financial reporting activities.
• Periodic close activities – processing of journal entries, account reconciliations, analysis and accuracy of results and any ad-hoc requests
• Analysis and processing of MGS accruals and reclassification of costs, as entered by cost center owners. This includes the system administration and enhancements of the tool used to process these entries, as well as reviewing and challenging where appropriate for items that do not make sense
• Responsible for ownership and management of certain general ledger balance sheet accounts, ensuring accuracy and timely periodic account reconciliations are completed and reviewed with the accounting manager
• Preparation, consolidation and submission of the periodic/quarterly/annual corporate required submission for MGS Unit. Periodic submissions into the Corporate reporting tools.
• Work as part of a Global Accounting team, sharing in best practices and globally consistent processes and procedures – from time to time lead global accounting activities to achieve this
• Assisting in database design for capturing thousands of lines of data. Testing the new database. Assisting in creating complex query definitions that allow data to be extracted.
Context and Scope
Complete how the job gets done and the way it operates
The role needs to have a solid grasp of accounting and internal control principles and develop. The person is also comfortable with significantly large database and detailed queries.
1. Education & Professional Qualification
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent a must
• CPA preferred
• Relational Database experience preferred.
• +2 years’ experience working in an business finance accounting environment
• A background and experience in implementing, monitoring or testing financial controls
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills (3-5)
(Distinguish any preferred competences at the end of the list & notate them as “preferred”)
Analytical and problem solving skills with a strong “attention to detail”.
Sound understanding of accounting concepts and principles
Strong organizational and time management skills
Ability to prioritize work, strong analytical skills and the ability to apply efficiencies in the financial reporting process
Microsoft Office Suite expertise skills
SAP/Atlas General Ledger