Senior Engineer, Packaging Development (8275355)
Duration: 10 months
Location is Goose Island Chicago, IL 60642
The Senior Engineer, Packaging Development is an important role within the Gum & Mints business unit. The Associate will deliver global projects in packaging innovation. They will be responsible for design, development, and translation of packaging innovations for the Expand core, Adjacency and Disrupt areas of growth. This role will be part of a team that will provide deep technical packaging material and process understanding and will work with Marketing and local markets, Operations, Commercial, and consumer research agencies to develop packaging from concept to finished goods to drive innovation. The incumbent will work on a continual basis to develop a range of consumer relevant, value added packaging. They are responsible for leading packaging development activities and are accountable for the execution of the programs and work streams developed by the global team. This position requires technical know how and tactical execution to define and execute a portfolio of complex projects, looking at new perspectives to solve existing and new brand solutions within the business unit.
New Packaging development: Responsible for the design, development, and translation of new and innovative packaging concepts. The key outputs from this role include developing consumer relevant value added packs, ensuring pack design meets the global consumer insights and fitting business strategy and technical needs, and achieving a high quality packaging solutions in a timely and cost effective way.
• Responsible for leading packaging development activities and is accountable for the execution of the allocated programs and work streams to bring project through to commercialization in partnership with regional team following Global-Regional R&D operating model.
• Ensures that the packaging development for extending core, and breakthrough product designs are delivered for the brands and that they are designed to meet the brand key quality attributes.
• Ensures that the packaging development process is carried out such that timelines are met to market products.
• Ensures that the packaging specifications are as accurate as possible and relevant to ensure correct costing.
• Ensures that Packaging quality and Manufacturing quality performance measures standards and corrective actions are specified for each new and current packaging to ensure performance at the required level for all manufactured products.
• Works with cross-functional teams in a design thinking way of working to deliver new and novel innovation for the brand.
• Works with the Global Packaging teams to help to develop technology required by the gum & mints category.
• To be fully knowledgeable on consumer profiles, brand frameworks, major competitors, markets, process, packaging, quality and remains abreast of new developments in food technologies, packaging, design, category trends and related fields.
• Initiate and evaluate pilot line trials during development for new packaging/varieties when existing production lines are not available. This will involve close co-operation with PPTS (Product & Process Translation & Support Team).
• Develop suppliers: Work with Commercial team to develop both material and creative design suppliers to provide input and be guardian of relevant packaging key business data (e.g. FEF, Pack KQA, Project plans, etc) Quest stage gate responsibility tbc.