Location: Oakland, CA
Duration: 6 months
Provide general payroll and benefits customer service to approximately 3,000 full and part-time employees, as well as serving the informational needs of external customers in providing employee-related information with appropriate authorization.
This role will provide support to Hospital departments and employees to respond to payroll and benefits processing questions of the staff across all levels of the organization. This role must demonstrate reliability and professionalism, while adhering to standard of complete confidentiality.
Payroll Processing: 40%
· Must possess a thorough understanding of Federal and State Wage & Hour Laws, including the correct calculations for overtime, impact of bonus calculations to non-exempt staff, and penalty pay calculations common in a health care setting.
· Expertly compute, verify and process employee timesheets, both manual and computerized (KRONOS), and pay rates into the hospital system for union and exempt/non-exempt employees.
· Responsible for the timely and accurate processing of employee payments related to illness, short and long term disability, workers' compensation absences and for responding to employee inquiries related to these payments.
· Responsible for accurate electronic data transmission of voluntary employee deductions.
· Maintain involuntary payroll deductions. Responsible for verifying biweekly garnishment amounts, submitting check requests to AP and distributing and reconciling the checks with the levying agencies.
· Prepare special checks (i.e. Final Checks) ensuring they comply with employment law, hospital policies, union contracts and tax regulations.
· Analyze pension transactions and ensure compliance with funding requirements.
Employee Record Maintenance: 20%
· Review, process and maintain individual salary/rate adjustments. Promptly process new hires, transfers, terminations, leaves of absence and related actions to ensure compliance with State/Fedeal laws and hospital policies.
· Fulfill department requests for Personnel Action Forms.
· Furnish duplicate W-2 requests, direct deposit statements and payroll record of earnings requests within service levels.
· Maintain accurate records on the tax status of non-residents, J-1, F-1, H1B, TN and EAD, in order to ensure compliance with all IRS and State regulations.
· Responsible for verifying and processing tax deductions, benefit accruals, and other voluntary deductions as required.
· Accurately compute and pay all tax deposits for Federal, State, and third party sick pay taxes on a timely basis without incurring any fees or penalties.
· Assist payroll manager in the annual preparation and balancing of W-2 forms, including maintenance of returned W-2's and provide duplicate copies as requested. Assist with balancing of all payroll-related employment tax returns, including forms 941, DE-6, FUT A, SUI and ETT tax forms. Assists payroll manager in resolving any tax issues.
· Assist payroll manager in verifying and processing group base rate increases and bonuses by downloading data from Meditech system to spreadsheets and integrating with human resources data.
· Prepare audit schedules.
Payroll/Timekeeping Systems’ Proficiencies: 20%
· Provide direct support for Kronos users. Enter all new and revised schedules and reporting as needed or requested, assist manager in tasks relating to transition from manual time cards to Kronos system; including: set-up of schedules, instructional and communications material for managers/timekeepers, testing of pay rules, meeting arrangements, departmental information spreadsheets and other tasks as needed.
· Assist with Time & Attendance system upgrades.
· Maintenance of Payroll System Dictionary.
· Compile statistical reporting as needed by managers. Includes labor-related reports and benefit accrual reports to all department managers, and data analysis, including ad hoc reporting and query designs as necessary. Coordinate with HIS to develop custom reports as needed.