The candidate will work for the Airport Logistics (AL) business unit inside AL designs, installs, tests and commissions baggage handling systems (BHS) for domestic airports. The BHS is critical to air travel safety and airport/airline profitability. Each BHS is a customized solution optimized for the location, purpose and bag traffic. The solution must have safety, value, dependability, maintainability, efficiency and sustainability. Most of the projects are conducted on construction jobsites during live airport operations that require a mind-set for safety, prompt and accurate execution, risk management and flexibility.
Working in a Matrix organization and reporting to the Engineering Manager and under the direction of the Engineering Leads, this position will perform mechanical integration of products and design custom equipment with the Airport Logistics Team. The engineering team consists of mechanical, controls, electrical and software professionals. The candidate will interact with procurement, field installation management and various suppliers. The candidate will provide intermittent support in the field before, during and after the Project. Timely completion, delivering functionality, minimal errors and application of learned skills are the deliverables of this position.
Under the direction of Engineering Leads, the candidate will be responsible for integrating products from the technical portfolio and design project specific equipment per established design practices. The candidate will be required to learn and master the following:
• Equipment portfolio and their functions
• Engineering workflow and standard design practices
• Engineering software tools and analysis methods
• Bill of material creation and equipment ordering processes
• Knowledge of cross functional engineering disciplines and their contribution to the projects
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Application of mechanical engineering principles, the ability to learn computerized design and analysis tools, a creative nature and hands-on mechanic aptitude are necessity to succeed in this role. The minimum position requirements are:
• Minimum two years experience with AutoCAD 2D & 3D
• Minimum two years experience in mechanical product integration or installation, product design or system layout
• Excellent English oral and written skills
• Technology degree relevant to this position (GPA >2.8)
• Ability to read construction plans
• Accomplished user of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point
• Domestic travel up to 20% of the time
• Able to negotiate tight spaces, ladders, stairwells, catwalks and occasionally lift 40 lbs.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
The following are preferred capabilities:
• 4 year Mechanical/Civil Engineering degree or relevant (GPA>3.0)
• High level of AutoCAD 2D & 3D skills,
• Experience with stress analysis of mechanical structures
• Experience with 3D sheet metal and/or machine design
• Experience working “live” construction jobsites and having safety training
• Experience with conveyor systems design.