Aperia is unlocking a new era of efficiency & profitability for commercial vehicle fleets, by developing innovative hardware & analytics solutions. Inventors of the award-winning Halotm Automatic Tire Inflator, Aperia saves fleets thousands of hours of down-time every week and reduces the environmental impact of the freight industry. Join us as we expand our product offering and take the next steps on our journey toward bringing the “backbone of our economy” into the automation age.
We are searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer to be a key member of our Halo™ product development team. As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will support the development of mass-produced products for use in challenging automotive use-cases, owning component & assy designs from concept through production launch.
- Develop Components & Assy’s - use Solidworks CAD/simulation & engineering analysis tools to develop, verify, & implement injection molded, die-cast, stamped, & machined part designs.
- Analyze change requests - Perform feasibility & impact studies on ECR’s, and support development of implementation plans which include budget, timeline, and resource estimates.
- Solve Challenging Engineering Problems – apply strong Engineering fundamentals to understand wear, fatigue, vibration, structural, mechanism, dynamics, sealing, & thermal challenges and to find suitable design solutions.
- Develop Engineering Knowledge – Identify & document design & engineering best practices.
- Design for Reliability – Use DFMEA to understand design weaknesses, and to identify improvements and areas of optimization that will enhance the reliability of your designs.
- Optimize Design Economics – apply knowledge of DFM/A and stakeholder needs to ensure designs are easy to manufacture by Aperia’s supply-chain, are cost effective, and have built-in quality.
- Support strong communication & collaboration – strive to achieve strong design review performance, cross-functional communication, and stakeholder buy-in as designs are progressed through the development process.
- Validate Designs – plan and drive execution of EP/EVT/DVT/PVT component & assy testing (DVP&R).
- Release Designs – Build and release ECO’s in Arena PLM, following Aperia release best practices & policies.
- Qualify Designs for Production – work with suppliers and Aperia personnel to ensure successful PPAP of components & assy’s.
Who You Are
- 2 - 5 years of direct experience designing & launching mass produced injection molded, die-cast, sheet-metal, and machined components & assy’s.
- You have seen the full automotive product development process from concept through production.
- You have strong Mechanical Engineering expertise – vibration, fatigue, accelerated testing, strength of materials, plastic material selection, rubber sealing, wear, platings/coatings, corrosion prevention.
- You have strong experience using CAD for designing and detailing complex parts (Solidworks preferred).
- You have a strong foundation applying GD&T to controlling design form/fit.
- You have experience working with suppliers to develop optimal datum & tolerance strategies.
- You have experience getting components/ assy’s through PPAP.
- You are an excellent communicator with demonstrated ability to work well on a team.
- Half mile from Millbrae BART/Caltrain (and we cover your public transportation costs)
- Full suite of benefits (health, dental, vision, 401k, etc)
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Machine shop for your personal use
- Great team!