We are seeking a Head of Finance to develop a world-class reporting system and to guide the company through an exciting growth phase. The Head of Finance will contribute to the overall success of the organization by effectively managing all financial tasks for the organization. Moreover, this role will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the Board of Directors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Finance performs a wide range of duties including, but not limited to all of the following:
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for designated stakeholders and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee development and implementation of payroll financial reporting, personnel determinations, compensation management, and reviews
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met
- Prepare all supporting information for an annual audit and liaise with the Board's Audit Committee and the external auditors as necessary
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
- Review monthly results and implement monthly variance reporting
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts in accordance with policy
- Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Assist the CEO with financial reporting as required for quarterly Board meetings and general staff meetings
Budget Preparation & Project Management Accounting:
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and lead the annual budgeting process in partnership with the CEO.
- Assist Department Managers with the preparation of budgets
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects
HR strategy and Administrative duties:
- Partner with the CEO, and senior management as the HR expert influencing decision-making on hiring strategy, employee engagement and retention.
- Champion employee development: Lead our recruitment, train and implement programs for continuous development. Provide leadership to strengthen internal communications and collaboration cross-functionally between teams.
- Oversee HR Manager and administrative activities. Direct and master company benefit programs, policies, and systems including management of our PEO provider.
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization's financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements
- Advise on appropriate technology that meets the organization's information requirements and financial resources
- Oversee and supervise the administrative function of the organization including reception, property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Monitor all legislation relevant to the organization (employment standards, occupational health, and safety, human rights, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Finance or related field
- 7+ years of progressive financial responsibility with strong operational background and supervisory responsibilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- An expert in Budgeting and Financial Reporting
- A guru in Excel & Databases
- Process-oriented and systems-focused
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Experienced with classification, compensation, and benefits
- Excellent knowledge of ATS, HRIS, HR best practices and regulatory state compliance
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Focus on Stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Organize: Set priorities, develop work schedules, monitor progress toward goals, and track details, data, information, and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
Startup office environment located in the Burlingame, CA