Angaza creates software for selling life-changing products in underserved markets.
When an off-grid family in Tanzania (or Kenya, or Nigeria, or India…) pays a weekly installment on their new home solar installation, their payment is processed by Angaza’s backend software. When they have a question about their account, a call center employee finds the answer using Angaza’s web application. Their lives were changed when they could turn on electricity for the first time; the sales agent who made that possible used Angaza’s Android app to register their purchase, set up their installation, and stay in touch while they start to benefit from it.
Plenty of other B2B SaaS companies build software designed for mature industries and well-served, developed markets. Angaza is different: our software might be running on a $30 smartphone. It may be the first app the user has ever installed, and it is probably being used in a place where 2G data is a luxury. These aren't edge cases; those are our core users, and we believe they'll use our software to dramatically improve the daily lives of hundreds of millions of people over the next decade.
We're looking for an experienced Product Manager to join our San Francisco team and drive the successful development of the Angaza platform for "pay as you go" sales of off-grid energy solutions. This position is an exciting opportunity to hold a key role as we rapidly scale our network, gain new partners, and add platform users. As our Product Manager, you will engage in solving a major obstacle to global development, and work with us on the tough usability challenges inherent to this domain. You can make a real difference for the millions of people living without electricity access today. Angazans have a wide range of backgrounds and stories. If you're excited by what we do, you should reach out no matter what. To help you decide whether this role is right for you, here's what we're looking for in an ideal candidate:
- You have 3+ years of product management experience building B2B/enterprise web and mobile products. You've had more success than failures and you can demonstrate what you've learned from each.
- You're as excited about working at a mission driven organization as you are about building game changing products.
- You thrive in dynamic environments by managing expectations, (over)communicating, and walking a fine line between process enforcer vs. rebel
- Your well-refined stakeholder engagement skills allow you to effectively engage with a diverse set of customers living halfway across the world.
- You're inspired by and committed to a data-driven product development process. Data doesn't trump everything, but it should be at least a starting point in the conversation.
- You're not necessarily a UI/UX expert, but you can build a set of user experiences and basic wireframes that will delight and enable your end users.
On a typical day, here’s what you could be working on with the team:
- Building out our core web and Android based platform with our rockstar team of engineers
- Developing low fidelity wireframes in coordination with our product designer to collect stakeholder feedback
- Gathering and prioritizing product feedback from our customers: how can we enable distributors to grow their pay as you go business in Africa and India?
- Developing release plans and product marketing materials for upcoming product releases
- Participating in roadmap prioritization discussions with key stakeholders in the company
This position is full-time and on-site in our San Francisco office.
Send us a resume as well as a cover letter explaining what interests you about the role. If you want to share anything else that helps us better evaluate your skill set (e.g. a portfolio of past products you’ve worked on), please don’t hesitate to send it our way! We’ll review all candidate submissions and do our best to get back to you shortly.
Angaza is a for-profit company with offices in San Francisco and Nairobi. Our product & engineering teams comprise a total of 20 people. We've worked at places like Canonical, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Kiva. It's an experienced group that supports each other in building a better product. We strive to be thoughtful, pragmatic, and collaborative. Our hiring process typically involves a phone conversation, a small and well-defined home project, and an on-site interview. We don't believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we give you specific constructive feedback wherever possible. Employees receive benefits, salary, and an equity stake in Angaza.