Do you love to compete? Are you hungry for achievement? Are you an A player? Do you want to work with other A players? For a company where culture is nurtured and managed as a critical source of advantage? Where every employee knows and cares about direction and strategy?
AML Oceanographic has clocked average annual growth of more than 20% over the past 6 years. How? Most importantly, we’ve built a team that provides outstanding service and truly cares about our customers. AML has a market reputation for two things:
- Going to the ends of the earth to make our customers successful.
- Bringing fresh ideas to an established market
We manufacture ocean sensing solutions – sensors, instrumentation, and deployment systems – for business and government customers on all seven continents. As a hi-tech business, our technical team includes experts and engineers with experience in the acoustic, mechanical, electrical, software, and embedded software domains. We operate from locations at either end of Canada: Halifax (Dartmouth), Nova Scotia on the Atlantic Coast and Victoria (Sidney), British Columbia on the Pacific Coast.
It goes without saying that we give preference to qualified candidates who already have had exposure to the oceanographic or hydrographic industries. Similarly, we see a formal education in Oceanography, Hydrography, Environmental Science, or Engineering as a significant advantage.
One last requirement: at AML, we’re looking for individuals who are excited by the idea of coming to work to contribute. We expect each of our team members to dedicate their hands, head, AND heart to his or her position.
Mission of the Role
Creating fans from *#^%ups
- Technical support response within 1 business day of receipt
- Customers feel that their support request is heard quickly
- AML appears responsive to inbound customer requests
- Technical Support Outcomes: Finds a way to resolve core issue meeting the customer's level of urgency
- AML identifies the true problem and responds accordingly
- e.g. AML instrument suspected issue may actually manifest in a total loss of survey productivity and the appropriate response would be to get the survey going again and not simply fixing the instrument
- e.g. we are not just issuing RMAs to fix problems, we get to the root cause
- Customer outcomes: Customers are sufficiently impressed with AML's technical support that it generates word of mouth referrals
- Documents technical support problems and solutions
- Technical support personnel are accountable for maintaining and improving how we document support cases. Some cases will require nonconformity (NC) reports per ISO 9001.
- A growing list of previous answers are added to the website
- Internal feedback: Ensures that product managers are made aware of potential design or product improvements
- EQ - Innate ability to "read" the situation and assess severity
- Customers will communicate that xyz is not working on their AML product, but rarely communicate what the real problem is. For example, they may report that a sensor is malfunctioning but their real problem may be that they are now unable to perform their survey operations. Is our customer frustrated? Are we delaying a project? Is there a business ($$$) impact as a result of this technical issue?
- Communication - Prefers voice or video conference as primary method of reaching a customer. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solution finding - Innate desire to understand instrumentation and subsea applications. Technical support personnel are not expected to know everything about AML's equipment but they should be able to find any answer by researching, tinkering, testing, etc.
- Instrumentation - Comfortable working with subsea instrumentation including normal operation as well as mechanical and electrical troubleshooting
- Application knowledge - In depth knowledge of subsea survey, environmental monitoring, and ocean science applications. Knowledge of data loggers (non-AML), telemetry, and data processing techniques.
At AML, every position comes with a clear scorecard, designed to guide each employee towards ‘what is important’. The key metrics for this position are:
- $$$ impact to customer of open tech support cases (estimated)
- NPS Score: "I would recommend AML to a colleague"
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your application package via email to hr@AMLoceanographic.com. In addition to your resume and cover letter, please clearly identify the personal values that you use to guide your decisions, and explain why these specific values are so important to you. Finally, please clearly indicate your compensation expectations. This position is open until filled.