Do you love to compete? Are you hungry for achievement? Are you an A player? Do you want to work with other A players? For a company where culture is nurtured and managed as a critical source of advantage? Where every employee knows and cares about direction and strategy?
AML Oceanographic has clocked average annual growth of more than 20% over the past 8 years. How? Most importantly, we’ve built a team that provides outstanding service and truly cares about our customers. AML has a market reputation for two things:
- Going to the ends of the earth to make our customers successful.
- Bringing fresh ideas to an established market
We manufacture ocean sensing solutions – sensors, instrumentation, and deployment systems – for business and government customers on all seven continents. As a hi-tech business, our technical team includes experts and engineers with experience in the acoustic, mechanical, electrical, software, and embedded software domains. We operate from locations at either end of Canada: Halifax (Dartmouth), Nova Scotia on the Atlantic Coast and Victoria (Sidney), British Columbia on the Pacific Coast.
It goes without saying that we give preference to qualified candidates who already have had exposure to the oceanographic or hydrographic industries. Similarly, we see a formal education in Oceanography, Hydrography, Environmental Science, or Engineering as a significant advantage.
One last requirement: at AML, we’re looking for individuals who are excited by the idea of coming to work to contribute. We expect each of our team members to dedicate their hands, head, AND heart to his or her position.
Mission of the Role
Design It – Build It – Grow It
- Design for manufacture and reliability of mechanical components
- Ensures success of mechanical aspects of sales orders
- Achievement of project plan as it relates to mechanical
- Can include product design, boms, jigs, renderings to marketing and other assigned tasks for the project.
- Item and Assembly BOM creation and maintenance excluding PCBs
- Writing of engineering documentation for products SOP's, Manuals, etc.
- Mechanical design to specification including cost
- Mechanical design to facilitate manufacturing improvements
- Seeing mechanical non-conformance to resolution
- Mechanical testing and QA procedures
- Product 3D CAD renderings for Marketing
- Advanced mechanical design skills
- Expert in drawing standards and best practices
- Expert in SolidWorks
- Knowledge of mechanical test methodologies and standards
- Experience with dynamics including winches for marine systems, deck handling, launch and recovery
- Scrum / agile product design methodology
- Multi-disciplinary engineering knowledge
- Knowledge in use of AML documentation and ERP systems
- Knowledge of oceanographic sensor theory and operation
At AML, every position comes with a clear scorecard, designed to guide each employee towards ‘what is important’. The key metrics for this position are:
- Lag: systems project hours last 30 days
- Lead: # of current mechanical customizations
- Lead: # of design requirements remaining
- Lead: # of current deployment system mechanical issues
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your application package via email to hr@AMLoceanographic.com. In addition to your resume and cover letter, please clearly identify the personal values that you use to guide your decisions, and explain why these specific values are so important to you. Finally, please clearly indicate your compensation expectations. This position is open until filled.