Software Developers are a key part of Alley’s team. Each developer will be deeply and personally involved in several client projects, and will work collaboratively with other members of the Alley team and with the client's principals as well.
Our developers need to be well-rounded technologists who have a holistic understanding of the web technology stacks that we work with, but who can also interface with clients in a professional and intelligent way.
We're not looking for rockstars, ninjas, zombies, or pirates. We're looking for smart, creative, resourceful developers who want to work with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
We recognize several levels of seniority and experience for developers, and tie compensation and responsibility to this. We are looking for all levels of developers for this position.
- WordPress is a key part of our technology landscape, as are React, Node.js, and webpack. You should be experienced with some of them, or ready to learn them and be able to demonstrate your ability to do so.
- Alley prides itself on its ability to address unusual, novel, and complex problems that deal with the intersection of technology, business, and content production. You should understand and be able to discuss web technologies and systems conceptually, and be able to demonstrate that you can learn a new language, technology stack, or framework quickly and on demand.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren't an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior experience is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a positive attitude about documentation, tickets, and issue tracking, are all very important "soft skills" for our developers to have.
Note: In your cover letter, please provide links to at least three separate code samples, along with a description of each detailing what you wrote and why, why you're proud of it, and how it reflects your experience and abilities. It’s fine if you didn’t write 100% of the code you submit because you were part of a team that worked on it together, or because it includes open source components, but please detail your contributions. We cannot accept any application without code samples.
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer a 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and a monthly allowance for work related expenses.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge and we suggest an average of three weeks off per year.
We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home, or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office and provide a monthly allowance for needed supplies, or rent you a co-working space.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Apply for a Position
Please complete the application and be sure to include the following in your cover letter when applying for a position.
- A link to work samples. If a link is not possible we will be in touch to request viewing access.
- Referral Name
- References (Including name and email address)
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.