Alley is a team of developers, designers, and user experience architects who tackle the most complex challenges facing publishers, news organizations, large-scale non-profit institutions, and government agencies. One of these challenges is publishing data and information in visual and interactive ways on the web. Alley is looking for an experienced team member to help us deliver data visualizations, interactive information graphics, and data-heavy microsites.
This position requires a well-rounded individual who possesses strong design capabilities as well as a facility with technology in order to effectively collaborate with other members of the Alley team and with the client's principals.
We're not looking for rockstars, unicorns, ninjas, zombies, or pirates. We're looking for a smart, creative, resourceful individual who wants to work with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
We recognize several levels of seniority and experience, and tie compensation and responsibility to this.
- Experience working on web-based data visualizations is required, and work experience in a news organization or research non-profit is a major plus.
- Strong visual design skills are required. Our projects could be anything from a single embeddable visualization to a large-scale data site involving numerous interactive features, and you may be called upon to work on any part of a site.
- Experience building applications into larger web products is a plus, especially integrating with CMS systems such as WordPress.
- You should have the ability to work with researchers and their data to produce successful online presentations.
- We apply Scrum as a production methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You should be open to working this way, and experience doing so is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to use them with both team members and clients.
Important: In order to be considered for the position, your application must include samples of data visualizations or interactive information projects of which you’ve been a contributing member in a production capacity (i.e., visual design, code, etc.). With your samples, include a description of your particular contributions to these projects, the goals (client, editorial, internal) that project was addressing, and describe how the project reflects your abilities and experience.
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer a 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and a monthly allowance for work related expenses.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge and we suggest an average of three weeks off per year.
We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home, or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office and provide a monthly allowance for needed supplies, or rent you a co-working space.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Apply for a Position
Please complete the application and be sure to include the following in your cover letter when applying for a position.
- A link to work samples. If a link is not possible we will be in touch to request viewing access.
- Referral Name
- References (Including name and email address)
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.