User Experience (UX) Developers at Alley work at the intersection of design, information architecture, and web development. Your responsibilities will range from working closely with visual designers to prototype and refine new projects to maintenance and fine-tuning of live projects with high traffic and revenue demands.
Our User Experience Developers need to be well-versed in the fast-changing landscape of front-end technologies and practices, excited about keeping our team at the cutting edge, and eager to work directly with clients to help them solve interesting and novel business plans.
We're not looking for rockstars, ninjas, zombies, or pirates. We're looking for smart, creative, resourceful developers who want to work with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
We recognize several levels of seniority and experience for developers, and tie compensation and responsibility to this. We are looking for all levels of developers for this position.
- You have a well-earned expert knowledge of semantic HTML5, and have dealt with related concerns like indexability and accessibility.
- You are fluent in CSS, and are comfortable with CSS preprocessors and front-end build systems. We use webpack at Alley, so direct experience with it is a big plus.
- You have a strong grasp on the underlying concepts in front-end development, such as the DOM and the box model, and like to think theoretically about human-computer interactions.
- You believe in separating presentation and business logic, and you love creating clean, organized front-end templates to do it (in a variety of templating systems).
- You’re familiar with front-end speed and performance concerns and you know common strategies to alleviate them.
- You’re used to dealing with compatibility issues and checking your work systematically on various devices and browsers.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren't an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and experience doing so before is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a positive attitude about documentation, tickets, and issue tracking, are all very important "soft skills" for our developers to have.
Note: In your cover letter, please provide links to at least three separate code samples, along with a description of each detailing what you wrote and why, why you're proud of it, and how it reflects your experience and abilities. It’s fine if you didn’t write 100% of the code you submit because you were part of a team that worked on it together, or because it includes open source components, but please detail your contributions. We cannot accept any application without code samples.
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer a 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and a monthly allowance for work related expenses.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge and we suggest an average of three weeks off per year.
We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home, or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office and provide a monthly allowance for needed supplies, or rent you a co-working space.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Apply for a Position
Please complete the application and be sure to include the following in your cover letter when applying for a position.
- A link to work samples. If a link is not possible we will be in touch to request viewing access.
- Referral Name
- References (Including name and email address)
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.