Head of Design - Alchemy
Alchemy (A P&G Company) is actively looking for a Head of Design to join the Alchemy team
At Alchemy, we put our consumers first. We are made up of collaborative product teams of engineers, designers and product managers who build digital products of superior quality and value to improve the lives of the world's consumers. We work across Procter & Gamble’s brands like Olay, Old Spice, Oral-B and others to understand consumer problems and build innovative solutions at scale.
Designers at Alchemy work closely with our product managers and engineers to create product experiences, starting from conception through launch. As head of our design team, you will support the entire team in their advocacy for the users. You will help the design and Alchemy team gain a greater understanding of consumers through establishing and leading our user research and testing process as well as push our standards and user interface guidelines. You will meet with brands and discover opportunities for where our design team can help advance brands and innovate in our cross-brand digital product work. You will be responsible for leading the team that designs and executes against best-in-class product roadmaps that advance Procter & Gamble’s mission, helping shape our team growth and strategy within Alchemy and P&G.
One of the many reasons Alchemy brings innovative, world-changing products to life within Procter & Gamble is because of the collaborative work we do in Design. We're responsible for leading product design, helping product teams understand their users, doing research and discovery, iterating through design and tailoring our solutions to the markets where Procter & Gamble does business.
At Alchemy, our Head of Design will be responsible for helping lead all our design efforts through team support and vision. You have experience in growing and building teams, forging through challenges in education teams on user experience and helping grow the design skills on your team. You have experience evangelizing and educating business partners, clients and teams in user experience from what “what” to the “how” and “why” of understanding product design. You will help each individual team member in their growth paths as well as manage the larger growth and direction of our design team. You will be a representative to P&G as our design voice, helping explain the work we do and what it means for their brand products and consumers. You have proven ability to push back in the right moments to ensure design success on your team. You collaborate well and inspire the team in the work they do, helping the team understand where they are and where they’re growing. You are able to communicate with Alchemy and P&G leadership on where the design team is at and where they’re growing, as well as how this can impact the work we do with brands to deliver innovative success in our digital product work.
You will work closely with our leadership team to help lead the vision and mission of our Alchemy team. You will work with Alchemy Product Managers, Engineers, and Product Stakeholders to and support the design team work in conveying the voice and feel of the brand, making sure we’re truly solving the problem at hand, all the while making sure teams focus on the user and keeping their needs in mind. The successful candidate must have exceptional problem solving and design thinking skills, strong ability to advocate for users through design, collaborating with technology teams and growing and leading design teams. We are looking for a proven ability to think through every phase of design and support the work we do in each phase as a team.
Some of your responsibilities:
- Manage and lead our design team individually and collectively through one-on-ones and team meetings
- Lead the foundation of what we’re building for our user research and testing process
- Help support user interface guidelines and oversee visual design work of our designers
- Be a lead design representative for our Alchemy design team within Procter & Gamble
- Help our team gain stronger footing and get better integration and leadership within Procter & Gamble design community and on cross-brand teams
- Help lead our work in growing design system language(s)
- Help our team balance our collective work both on products and internally on our design team
- Lead our recruiting and hiring process - help shape the vision for how and with whom we grow our team
- Foster a supportive environment for the autonomous work our design team handles to grow our own team skills and tools
- Support and lead our internal design team culture and help us continue to scale and grow the positive, supportive and learning-driven culture of our design team
- Help support our collective team education and growth through training, education and hands-on practice
- Help us translate our internal design skills learnings to our greater Alchemy team and work
What we offer you:
- Leadership and vision for our design team and community - a chance to help support our leadership within our team and within Procter & Gamble
- Continuous collaboration, coaching & mentorship – We are passionate about our work and about working with best in class teammates. With our leadership team and across our organization, we share design knowledge, advance our design practices and help each other grow
- Dynamic and respectful work environment – We live our Purpose, Values, and Principles daily. We value every individual and encourage initiatives promoting agility and work/life balance.
- Challenging problems that will revolutionize consumer packaged goods industry
- A company that’s a recognized global brand leader
- Opportunity for you to have a direct impact on millions of consumers worldwide through supporting our team and the work each team is doing
What we look for:
- Proven ability to grow and build design teams and support cross-functional work
- Ability to challenge and establish a foundation for design to work effectively and be truly user-centered in practice and process
- Forward-thinking design skills and vision to help our team push ourselves in work and process
- Demonstrable design skills and ability to work from early concepts through visual design
- Experience and passion in mentoring design skills and growth in our design team
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss design and with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to design while adhering to usability heuristics and best usability standards and practices
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired
- Familiarity in top design concept and prototyping tools (Sketch, Whimsical, InVision, etc.)
- History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, citizenship, HIV/AIDS status or any other legally protected factor.
Immigration sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants for U.S. based positions are generally required to be eligible to work in the U.S. without the need for current or future sponsorship. Qualified individuals will not be disadvantaged based on being unemployed.