Aira is looking for a Backend Software Engineer intern for the summer of 2018. Our Backend Software Engineer interns will be focused on our core Java logic platform, databases, AWS, and NodeJS, which all are in charge of orchestrating our product features and services. We are looking for college students who have some experience working with any of the above applications, and wish to further develop their skills and experience by working on accessibility features, live video streaming, enterprise-level integration to drive product-enhancing features, AI on the go, and wearable devices. This is a paid position; hour rate depends on qualifications. We have a service that connects blind customers via video-streaming smart glasses to human Agents located throughout the US and are hiring the next uniquely talented designer to join our growing team. There are an estimated 30 million blind and low-vision people in the United States and over 300m worldwide. Innovation for these customers requires ultimate usability, creativity and forward looking solutions. Our goal is to develop leading technology and services that help remove remaining barriers for the visually impaired, expanding their possibilities to live with greater confidence and independence. Your goal is to convince us why you are the right person for this role.
Spotlight worthy product - From the WSJ to CNN to CNBC, we keep racking up the accolades for our award-winning technology that was built by, for and with the blind & visually impaired community. Imagine, that your product is so transformative that the industry is taking notice, larger tech partners such as Google, AT&T, AWS and more are deeply collaborating.
Talent Density - Join a proven team with diverse backgrounds who eagerly await your contributions. We are a low-ego yet fiercely competitive and passionate group who will not shy away from a challenge and who deliver as a team.
Passionate Customers, Marquee Financing - Aira’s solution compares the invention of the white cane and our customers are passionate fans; with strong Venture backing from marquee tech investors we have a solid financial runway to support our massive growth.
- Assist in developing Java Spring applications
- Assist in working on AWS tooling and server orchestration
- Assist in NodeJS development related to data synchronization across multiple cloud platforms
- Optimizing application for usability and accessibility
- Pursuing a degree in computer science or relevant field
- Completed freshman year
- Must be able to work at our La Jolla, CA office, 40 hours a week
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Help to improve the performance of using shared library among a set of applications.
- Knowledge of computer architecture
- Worked with version control software (eg. Github)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and software design patterns
- Experience developing apps for external hardware
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Eager to learn, always looking for better solutions to existing problems
- Understanding of XML, JSON, Web Services technologies
- Experience in multi-threaded programming
- Familiar with relational database concepts (eg. MySQL)
- Familiar with at least 1 scripting language (bash/csh/sh/python/perl)
- Demo apps to show