Agility Robotics seeks an experienced mechanical design engineer to join us in creating highly dynamic legged robots that will walk, run, and jump around in the real world. This is not a management position: it is a design position, appropriate for someone with experience in precision mechatronics and robotics design. The position will entail working in a small, very capable team to design, refine, implement, and test all aspects of legged robot with arms and sensors. For this position, we specifically seek an excellent communicator with experience interacting with fabricators and manufacturers for fast prototyping and a gradual transition to production, as our designs evolve and our business grows. Technical examples of the work include working with the team for high-level design of robot arms, legs, body, sensor package; mechanical integration of custom BLCD motors with transmission, sensors, and power electronics, including thermal considerations for the system; considering compliant elements as part of the actuator or the limbs, for highly dynamic and force-sensitive behaviors; design of robot shells and external surfaces for beautiful robots that are not easily damaged in their interaction with the real world (including falls and recoveries); use of all manufacturing techniques, including tried-and-true methods along with exploration of novel approaches where appropriate; and others. Specific responsibilities will vary depending on the passion and interests of the applicant, as well as the fit with the team as tasks are distributed.
- CAD expert (Creo or SolidWorks, large assemblies, GD&T drawings, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to create complex electromechanical assemblies, from inception to implementation
- Demonstrated ability to design for manufacturability and design for assembly
- Excellence in teamwork and communication
- 5+ years working with fabricators and manufacturers
- Experience deploying a new design, evaluating quantitatively and revising for robustness and function
- Experience creating lightweight, rugged electromechanical systems, such as mobile robots
- Electronics and sensor integration (working with EE team)
- Electric motor and transmission design
To apply, please include in your cover letter a brief portfolio, or link to an online portfolio, of mechanisms you have designed and/or implemented.