We are joining a professional communications industry that, for far too long, has focused on expanding the influence of the powerful while systematically excluding diverse voices. At A/B we are writing a new story. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms. We are here to find new ways into the headlines and to move people toward the values that will accelerate transformative shifts in policy and human understanding.
We do this by understanding the two sides of every story: A and B. The A story is the story we can see, the news cycle we can influence. The B story is mostly invisible, but powerful. It’s driven by the unwritten rules and power dynamics that shape people’s beliefs, behaviors and values. Social and political change requires us to tackle both stories, to win the conversation but also to focus it on promoting new values and attacking the silent assumption that who we are should dictate our ability to live up to our full potential.
We’re looking for entrepreneurial talent to help build A/B from the ground up.
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis. All roles will be based in New York City, but can be remote for the right candidate.
The Senior Director of Media Strategy will build and drive an integrated approach to social impact. Our company sees the power of media, brand and narrative to shift behavior and values in ways that make social change both possible and transformational. The Senior Director of Media Strategy will own how, when and where “the idea” shows up in the media landscape, including earned, paid, and owned channels.
The Senior Director of Media Strategy consumes media in all forms—from press to digital to podcasts and more—and thinks creatively about how to harness the power of storytelling to shift people’s behavior and values. The Senior Director of Media Strategy will bring this multidisciplinary expertise to develop our integrated media approach. The Senior Director of Media Strategy will also be passionate about relationship building, team development, and culture. We are looking for a proven leader who knows how to create a culture of collaboration and accountability while empowering and developing those around them.
The Senior Director of Media Strategy will develop our integrated approach to campaigning and the mechanisms to evaluate and prove out the model. They will lead the vision, strategy and media planning across all of the company’s client projects, as well as act as first responder on emergent media opportunities and crises. The Senior Director of Media Strategy will cultivate and maintain relationships with existing and potential clients, a wide range of media partners, and as a leader to other team members. They will contribute to building and growing our agency's business, client base, and reputation as a leading communications partner for high impact organizations shifting the conversation on the social and political issues that shape our lives.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10-15 years experience in digital marketing, social media, media relations, strategic communications, and/ or public relations
- 5 years of senior management experience
- A history of bringing in new business, and deepening commitments of existing partners
- A proven track record for building a strong network of influencers—from clients, to journalists, influencers to content and distribution partners—and successfully managing relationship dynamics
- Ability to identify strategic needs and also to lead on all aspects of planning and deliverables
- Ability to own and deliver large-scale projects under tight deadlines by effectively managing teams
- Track record of experience managing and mentoring with high integrity and the ability to inspire others
- Knowledge of the social impact, political, philanthropic or non-profit sectors and the key players driving trends within them
- A strong and proven commitment to building a diverse agency team that prioritizes racial and gender equity at every level as both a strategy for delivering high-impact and creative work to our clients and differentiating our offering and approach from competitors
- Foster a low-ego, high-collaboration culture that will allow the team to become industry-leaders
- Oversee the professional development of the company media team, cultivating a collaborative, interdisciplinary team
- Develop and deliver media strategy that measurably drives people to action for clients across channels, including earned, paid, owned and social media
- Serve as a senior leader in client management, providing strategic advice and delivering a range of high impact work
- Cultivate strong relationships with content, distribution, press and other strategic partners to animate the company’s work in the media landscape
- Develop differentiating products and services across key areas of work and sectors to grow and the practice
- Secure a pipeline of potential clients, partnerships, and projects, creating written proposals/pitches, project scopes and estimates that hit your revenue goals
- Provide input to codify the vision, brand, structure and management of the agency during a time of growth
The salary band for this role starts at $100,000 annually, as well as a bonus structure for business development, and will be commensurate with experience.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry.Women, people of color, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.