We are joining a professional communications industry that, for far too long, has focused on expanding the influence of the powerful while systematically excluding diverse voices. At A/B we are writing a new story. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms. We are here to find new ways into the headlines and to move people toward the values that will accelerate transformative shifts in policy and human understanding.
We do this by understanding the two sides of every story: A and B. The A story is the story we can see, the news cycle we can influence. The B story is mostly invisible, but powerful. It’s driven by the unwritten rules and power dynamics that shape people’s beliefs, behaviors and values. Social and political change requires us to tackle both stories, to win the conversation but also to focus it on promoting new values and attacking the silent assumption that who we are should dictate our ability to live up to our full potential.
We’re looking for entrepreneurial talent to help build A/B from the ground up.
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis. All roles will be based in New York City, but can be remote for the right candidate.
A/B is looking for masters of craft with a commitment to sustainability, social justice and human rights to join its New York based team as a Creative-in-Residence. This unique role is designed for creative professionals who have become experts in any aspect of production or storytelling, as independent artists, agency professionals, consultants or through a studio practice. Applicants need not be working actively in the social change field, but should be dedicated to applying their skills and experience in service of transformative brands, organizations and ideas in line with their values.
The Creative-in-Residence will work in full or part-time practice with the team at A/B, creating the flexibility to sustain other freelance or independent projects. The role has been designed as a unique and rotating leadership position that allows talented professionals access to strengthen and expand their own practice by working in partnership with the best advocates and storytellers focused on social change. In turn, the team of strategists, designers, analysts, marketers and media professionals at A/B will draw on the Creative-in-Residence to strengthen and expand our work with high impact organizations and philanthropic ventures.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 7+ years in creative practice in roles of progressive responsibility. Some experience working with or within an agency environment is helpful but certainly not required
- A strong commitment to equity, diversity of thought and opinion, and respect for a diverse set of colleagues
- A deep interest in and commitment to creating stories that engage and move people to take power in shaping their own lives and the society around them
- A proven track record of creativity and innovation, with a portfolio demonstrating ingenuity and creative excellence
- The ability to consistently dedicate focused time to the Residency (while the role is structured to allow for additional projects that allow participants to honor commitments and generate income, this is not designed for those already engaged in full or near full-time employment)
- Play a senior creative leadership role on one or more A/B projects, leading the development of brands, content, campaigns, experiences and technology that measurable move people to action
- Offer novel ideas by consulting on the development of A/B’s internal (non-client) creative and technology projects, helping us expand our mission of being the most effective organization in the world at reaching and moving people on social and political issues.
- Successfully drive creative processes that lead to innovate concepts with the leadership of A/B and our clients (leaders of philanthropic institutions, progressive businesses, and high-impact non-profits in the U.S. and around the world)
- Spend 10-50% of each week working with the A/B team at our studio in lower Manhattan (or remotely, in unique circumstances).
Hourly rate will be dependent on area of expertise and commensurate with experience.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry.Women, people of color, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.