We are joining a professional communications industry that, for far too long, has focused on expanding the influence of the powerful while systematically excluding diverse voices. At A/B we are writing a new story. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms. We are here to find new ways into the headlines and to move people toward the values that will accelerate transformative shifts in policy and human understanding.
We do this by understanding the two sides of every story: A and B. The A story is the story we can see, the news cycle we can influence. The B story is mostly invisible, but powerful. It’s driven by the unwritten rules and power dynamics that shape people’s beliefs, behaviors and values. Social and political change requires us to tackle both stories, to win the conversation but also to focus it on promoting new values and attacking the silent assumption that who we are should dictate our ability to live up to our full potential.
We’re looking for entrepreneurial talent to help build A/B from the ground up.
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis. All roles will be based in New York City, but can be remote for the right candidate.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 7-10 years of experience in a role where you were responsible for managing partnerships
- A history of bringing in new business, and deepening commitments of existing partners
- A proven track record for building a strong network of influencers and partners —from clients, to journalists, influencers to content and distribution partners—and successfully managing relationship dynamics
- Excellent project management skills
- The ability to distill feedback into actionable steps
- A person who thrives when meeting people and building trusting relationships
- Deep experience writing compelling long-form proposals and pitch decks in Powerpoint or Google Slides
- A background building out organized systems for tracking contacts and progress toward closing a contract
- A passion for progressive politics
- Agency experience preferred, but not required
In this role, you will:
- Cultivate strong relationships with content, distribution, press and other strategic partners to animate the company’s work in the media landscape
- Develop marketing strategies that build the brand of the organization and team members in order to secure new business
- Manage a responsive and efficient communication process with key stakeholders as we work to secure partnerships
- Work to ensure partners receive excellent customer service throughout the pitching process
- Create a system for tracking partnerships, documents, notes, and key contacts that can be maintained by other members of the team
- Proactively work to understand a partner’s needs, as well as what success looks like to them
- Synthesize partner needs in to clear deliverables and realistic timelines
- Draft compelling scopes and pitch decks that result in new business being secured for the company
- Ensure that pitches are organized and proofread
- Liaise with the partners to ensure any follow-up feedback is addressed promptly
- Create regular reporting to inform optimizations to make to the partnerships pipeline
The salary band for this role starts at $100,000 annually, as well as a bonus structure for business development, and will be commensurate with experience.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTI people, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.