Aaptiv is a digital health company that provides the guidance, motivation and tools everyone needs to achieve their personal health goals. Launched in 2016, Aaptiv has transformed the lives of over 200K members around the world. Aaptiv members get unlimited access to thousands of workouts led by world-class trainers, group training with Aaptiv Team Challenges, and a daily custom health plan created by Aaptiv Coach.
Aaptiv has raised more than $60M from leading venture capital firms and top companies, including the Amazon Alexa Fund and Disney. To learn more, visit Aaptiv.com.
Want to join our team? We’re looking for people who are passionate about continuing to improve the Aaptiv experience that our members around the world have come to love.
About the Role
We are looking for a proven technology leader to join Aaptiv as the Engineering Team Lead for our Core Services and Recommendations team. In this role, you will contribute as an engineer, a leader and a mentor. This is a hands-on position and you will be actively involved in the code, whether that’s shipping features alongside your team or participating in code reviews. The rest of your time will be spent managing and growing your team.
This role offers a fantastic opportunity to lead a key team at Aaptiv and to apply technology to fitness in novel ways. The Core Services and Recommendations team is responsible for recommendations, search and other foundational systems used for things like serving workouts and handling payments.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to architect, implement, and roadmap critical services for our native and web applications
- Research and propose new technologies where appropriate
- Ensure the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of the solutions your team develops
- Lead, manage and grow a team of software engineers. You will mentor them and guide their professional and technical development
- Engage in code reviews to ensure team members are contributing code that meets our short- and long-term goals
- Contribute to the strategic well-being of the Aaptiv engineering organization as a whole. This includes working across teams to coordinate larger initiatives.
Who You Are
- You have several years of engineering experience with at least 2 of those years spent in an engineering management role
- You have deep knowledge of multiple languages and frameworks, including experience building applications in Python
- You have worked extensively with AWS or another cloud-based platform
- You have experience building service oriented architectures and understand when it’s appropriate to create a new service (and when it’s not)
- You focus on delivering meaningful work and understand trade-offs. This allows you to make good decisions about what can wait and what needs to be done now.
- Making your team happy and productive is a top priority for you
- You have experience with automated testing and believe it makes teams go faster, not slower
- You have a firm understanding of Agile and opinions on what works and what doesn’t
- Bonus: You have experience building recommendation systems or a background in machine learning. (We have expertise in-house, so this is not a requirement.)
Not only will the work you do at Aaptiv be meaningful and rewarding, but you'll get to do it in a fun environment alongside a diverse group of friendly, talented people. In order to hire the best, we offer competitive salaries and equity, great benefits, and lots of perks, including catered breakfasts and lunches, unlimited vacation, and unbelievable views of New York City from our office at One World Trade Center.
It is the policy of Aaptiv to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Aaptiv will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.