Aaptiv is the fastest growing mobile fitness product on the market—with nearly 200,000 paid subscribers in less than 2 years of business. We are the only service that turns your phone into an on-demand fitness studio with all your favorite classes and music. That drive you feel to run, push, or pedal harder in a class or when working with a personal trainer? Aaptiv recreates the experience by synchronizing the voice of a trainer with a playlist of all the music you love, to deliver fun and motivating guided workouts straight to your earbuds.
At Aaptiv, we're building a fitness platform that enables us to develop long-term and personal relationships with users based on their data profiles. By analyzing user behavior patterns, we are able to both create and recommend content customized to specific fitness levels and interests.
Want to join our team? We're looking for people who are passionate about building a world-class fitness experience. There are over 80 million Americans who value fitness—and we believe every one of them should be an Aaptiv user.
About the Role
Building out a new web experience for our users is a crucial next step for our business. In this role, you’ll be responsible for leading the team of engineers tasked with doing this. This is a player-coach role and you should expect to be very hands-on. You will spend about 75% of your time working in the code whether that’s building a new feature yourself, pairing with a team member or reviewing a PR. The remaining time will be spent working with Product to plan upcoming projects and managing your team. You will be responsible for holding regular one on one meetings with your reports and providing constructive feedback. This is a role that provides a huge opportunity to have a meaningful impact on Aaptiv’s business.
What You’ll Do
- Develop new features in our React.js / Node.js web application. This will be mostly frontend work, but will also require some backend work as well. You should feel comfortable with both.
- Work closely with product managers to brainstorm ideas, break down projects and estimate how long they will take
- Be a champion of engineering best practices within your team. We want to build high-quality software that’s easy to understand, easy to change and works the way it’s supposed to.
- Manage and mentor a small team of engineers. You’ll be responsible for making sure they have the guidance they need to grow as engineers.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer working on both the frontend and backend
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Experience using modern web frameworks such as React.js, Ember.js or AngularJS
- Strong understanding of good API design
- You value code quality, but understand that perfection is not the goal. More importantly, you know when it’s appropriate to make tradeoffs.
- You firmly believe in engineers writing automated tests and you have experience with testing frameworks for front end applications
- You are always willing to pitch in to help your team no matter what the task may be