Aaptiv is the fastest growing mobile fitness product on the market—with nearly 200,000 paid subscribers in less than 2 years of business. We are the only service that turns your phone into an on-demand fitness studio with all your favorite classes and music. That drive you feel to run, push, or pedal harder in a class or when working with a personal trainer? Aaptiv recreates the experience by synchronizing the voice of a trainer with a playlist of all the music you love, to deliver fun and motivating guided workouts straight to your earbuds.
At Aaptiv, we're building a fitness platform that enables us to develop long-term and personal relationships with users based on their data profiles. By analyzing user behavior patterns, we are able to both create and recommend content customized to specific fitness levels and interests.
Want to join our team? We're looking for people who are passionate about building a world-class fitness experience. There are over 80 million Americans who value fitness—and we believe every one of them should be an Aaptiv user.
About the Role
When an athlete works with a personal trainer, they show up at the gym and are told what to do. At Aaptiv, for us to fill the role of a personal trainer, we need to be able to show users the right workout for them. Engineers in this role should be ready to pitch in with any type of work that can help improve the customer’s experience; they are fully vested in outcomes and releasing amazing product to our customers. In this role, you'll work side by side with Product to craft new features that our users will love. Primarily, we will be building the core pieces of a recommendation platform that can collect all the necessary data, store it, process it, produce recommendations and measure its impact. In support of this goal you'll use your experience in API design and building RESTful services as you help develop our system architecture.
This is primarily a hands-on position. You'll be expected to be a very active contributor to the code base. The team is in its infancy and is just growing out. Initially you should expect a role that is > 90% individual contributor. As time goes, this role will evolve, but will likely remain a role where > 75% of your time is spent in the code in one way or another.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with product managers and other engineers to determine the best way for users to discover new workouts
- Build predictive models to prioritize the next algorithm we build
- Productionalize new search and recommendation algorithms to support that functionality
- Test different search and recommendation algorithms and track the impact they have on key engagement metrics
- Help guide the overall search and recommendation architecture
- Research and propose new technologies
- Scope and stage work into well-defined milestones to avoid a monolithic deliverable
- Make others better through code reviews, thorough documentation, technical guidance, and mentoring
- Identify and propose strategies around technical problems affecting our team, communicate standards and get buy-in on solutions
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience building large scale applications
- 5+ years of experience designing and building recommendation services or similar technology that intelligently puts personalized content in front of users. Ideally you have worked on more than one such system.
- Strong data skills and ability to manipulate data and build models in the context of search / recommendations
- Strong knowledge of search technologies such as Elasticsearch, Solr or Lucene
- Extensive experience with a server-side language (such as Java or Python) and SQL
- Familiarity with automated testing and build systems
- Often leading discussions in Sprint Planning breaking down stories, challenging assumptions, and making sure the right people are included in a discussion
- Can often be found pitching in to help teammates meet objectives
- Take initiative to find ways to make the entire team more productive
- Willing to defer some of the “fun” projects to make sure the necessary grunt work happens in a timely fashion