4ocean is a high-growth movement driving environmental change globally. We’re seeking an authentic, driven, intelligent Director of Communications to join our team. The success and quality of our brand are attributed to the talent of our people, which is why we hire leaders and innovators, not employees or staff.
We are searching for a Communications Director to amplify our mission and build brand love through creative communications initiatives and impactful storytelling. As the leader of our communications team, you will tell the 4ocean story, generate awareness and consideration of our entire story within areas you will be managing, and elevate 4ocean to a brand people know and love. You will also collaborate with cross-functional leadership teams to tell stories around what 4ocean is and deliver gold-standard experiences to media, people at our events, and people following us on social media while driving new consumers and participation in our events
Our ideal candidate has a deep background in and passion for PR, consumer products, social impact, event marketing, social marketing, and strong relationships across consumer press and blogs. You are an exceptional storyteller, a creative and strategic thinker, a brilliant writer with a strong grasp of voice and tone, and a strong executor with meticulous project management skills. You have a pulse on entertainment and cultural moments, as well as consumer PR and organic social opportunities and trends. We’re looking for a team player who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment and has a strong belief in the power of education and awareness.
- Excellent writer: Every sentence is an official statement from the brand. Our ideal candidate will exhibit quick thinking, excellent taste, and a good sense of humor.
- Strategic communicator: Ability to develop a communications strategy along with messaging and narrative development.
- Creative: Our communications plans should be able to break through the media clutter and make 4ocean a brand people love. We need someone who can put forth big ideas and craft messaging that captures the attention of the target audience.
- Networked: Deep understanding of the media landscape and how to establish and nurture relationships with agency partners, key journalists, bloggers, and influencers.
- Involved: Manage daily efforts to build our share of voice and brand awareness
- Planner: Produced or led small and large scale events with experiential marketing top of mind
- Insightful: Core understanding of what consumers enjoy engaging in within organic social marketing and understanding how our stories fit within each social media platform
- Develop creative communications strategies that drive revenue and lead to key partnerships, sponsorships, and opportunities for the 4ocean brand
- Lead our communications strategy and execution, including building key media/reporter relationships and PR agency management
- Develop breakthrough press plans for our content/instructor and product announcements
- Executive Communications: Develop and own our Executive Team’s speaking opportunities and thought leadership program, from content creation to coaching executives before media appearances
- Social Influencer Strategy: Drive strategy and programs that bring credible 3rd party and student voices into our overall comms efforts through events, owned channels, and earned media
- Social Media: Lead organic social media planning and partner with paid marketing to determine how best to leverage emerging platforms.
- Oversight of event marketing and delivering best-in-class experiences to people attending and participating.
- 10+ years experience in communications and/or public relations for a consumer-focused brand, including a track record of getting media to engage in a complex space
- Strong strategic thinker who can craft and convey a great story
- Experience working with high profile talent, preferably in media or entertainment
- Experience working with and coaching senior executives
- Driven self-starter who thrives on seeing big results
- Scrappy innovator who will roll up their sleeves
- Great copy editor with strong copywriting skills
- Event management background, having activated brand presence at events attended by 1,000-100,000 people
- Proficient in knowing social media platforms, how they work, and what consumers love
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience
- Experience managing people with strong and proven leadership skills
4ocean is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.