4FMV is looking for a Manager, Data Governance and Data Architecture for a client in Downtown Toronto on a permanent basis. Located just steps from Union Station, our client is a leader in their field and recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers.
Who are you?
This is an ideal role for someone who started their career as a Developer, or Data Analyst, and grew into a Data Governance position. You do not have to have been a data architect (but it would be helpful). We are looking for someone who understands both Data Governance frameworks and the technology needed to implement.
What is your opportunity?
This is a true greenfield opportunity. We need you to develop the data governance framework from scratch, role it out, select the technologies needed to implement, and set the path forward. You will be expected to document the data architecture, and to develop and implement data governance best practices, policies, and guidance across the company’s key systems and data sources.
Job Description in more detail
The purpose of this role is to help our client better understand and manage its data.
You will work with stakeholders from business units, the data warehouse team, the database support team, the information security team, various application development teams, and relevant third parties to deliver a data governance program.
You will be responsible for engaging with the data warehouse team, systems owners, and business users to ensure that data architecture is documented, data governance requirements are defined, documented and translated into effective and consistent processes that improve our ability to secure and get value from our data.
As part of the corporate architecture team you will also be expected to
- Help introduce processes and tools that support and mature the data architecture practices
- Help the organization make good choices in the evolution of data architecture and data management
- Help the organization make progress along the IT Strategic Roadmap
- Build and maintain a detailed inventory of core systems and information assets that are held in these systems, as well as the teams and processes that use them
- Document and maintain ownership accountability of customer, application, and corporate data
- Ensure that identified data owners and stewards perform their roles as defined by process and policy
- Develop standards, policies and procedures to support the creation and provide technical assurance for the on-going implementation of the data governance policy within the business
- Manage the delivery of the data governance program addressing typical data governance competencies: Data Ownership and Stewardship, Metadata Management, Enterprise Content Management, Data Quality, Master Data Management, Records Management, Data Architecture, Information Delivery, and Security & Privacy
- Selecting, maintaining, and operating tools and technology supporting the data governance program
- Lead and develop teams to ensure data governance policies and practices are embedded throughout the company
- Help establish best practice and ownership of the corporate taxonomy and ontology, and develop rules for their use
- Align the data governance program to the enterprise IT strategy
- Use specialist knowledge and expertise to identify improvements through reducing data redundancy and appropriate data reuse
- Continually assess and identify risks in line with the risk management approach, ensuring they are mitigated and accounted for work within the data governance program
- Support and supervise information stewardship activities and management of data quality, retention, and uses
- Develop and support data quality metrics outside of the data warehouse
- Identify and develop policies and standards that need to be put in place to ensure the role can be carried out effectively and efficiently
- Support project planning and management to ensure best practices, legal frameworks, and contractual commitments are followed with regards to data governance
- Organize and chair any data governance committees or other bodies as required
- Manage & coordinate data gathering activities to get up-to-date current state architecture information
- Managing vendors & consultants
- Change management / roll-out of new processes
- 3+ years of recent experience working in a data governance setting
- 10+ years work experience
- Knowledge of data architecture and technology solutions
- A good understanding of information management practices including information lifecycle management, data modelling, master data management and carrying out business audits and requirements gathering
- Experience working within the information/records management discipline
- Understanding of the principles of IT security and data protection
- Experience in leading a data governance program
- An information management or data governance qualification
- Specialist knowledge of data governance principles and practices (DMBOK)
- Understanding of financial and accountancy terminology
- Understanding of privacy laws and regulations
- Strong understanding of databases and data structures
- Experience with DBMS and Data Analytics Systems (several of below)
- SQL Server
- Shell scripting
- Structured Query Language (SQL)