DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
The Engineering team at our company is reinventing the buying experience for the category with a best-in-class shopping experience on mobile and web. We are looking for a hands-on Director of Engineering to set and implement a technological and product vision.
We are a Ruby on Rails application written on the Spree eCommerce platform. We have a minimal stack comprised of Rails, MySQL, Redis, AWS buckets, Cloudfront, and a few auxiliary services. We use Marionette/Backbone JS, HAML, SASS and are hosted on Heroku. We use several great tools for continuous integration, exception monitoring, and system monitoring. We also have integrations with Avalara, Braintree, Quiet Logistics, Qubit, SailThru, EasyPost, Amazon, Analytics platforms and Desk. We believe this is the best approach for building an animation rich, mobile first experience that makes buying underwear simpler than checking your bank account balance. :)
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A STRONG TECHNICAL LEADER WHO
- Has a passion for partnering with the business to drive technical direction and context within a growing Engineering team.
- Is eager to create a culture of mentorship and thought leadership within Engineering.
- Is flexible, collaborative and forward thinking.
- Has experience in eCommerce or another high availability, scalable industry.
- Is located in NYC or willing to relocate to NYC.
WHAT YOU’LL DO EVERY DAY
- Be responsible for the database architecture.
- Be in charge of network operations.
- Ensure site structure for scalability.
- Work with our marketing and product teams to define new features and build new buy path flows, landing pages, navigation, internal tools and e-commerce functionality.
- Partner with our design team to execute a high-quality user experience and brand identity.
- Help scale our architecture and improve site performance
- Deploy code to production daily
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Extensive experience working with Ruby in a TDD or tested environment
- Full-stack development
- Caching and Scalability in a full stack web application.
- Experience with payment integration, web security, and analytics
- Exposure to any of Spree/Solidus, Resque (or similar), Rspec and Capybara.
- Familiar/Fluent in Amazon Web Services (S3, EC2, Data Pipeline, Redshift, and Cloudfront)
- Exposure to C or C-derivative language.
WHAT MAKES US SPECIAL?
We give a shit! - We care. We’re slightly obsessive. We sweat every detail. We fight for what we think is best for us and our customers.
We put our money where our mouth is - We own our words. We own our actions. We own our mistakes.
We solve problems - You won’t find us waiting around for someone else to fix a problem, if we can get our hands on it first.
We won’t sacrifice the future for a quick win - We wait for the second marshmallow.
It’s all about the people! - Relationships over transactions.
- World-class insurance – Top of the line health insurance paid for by us
- Open vacation policy – Unlimited vacation and sick days to use as needed
- Competitive salary – Compensation includes a competitive salary and employee stock options
- Great location – Right in the heart of Manhattan with easy access to 14 different subway lines
- Free Gear – Free new product launches and year-round employee discount code
- Office Snacks & Drinks – Fully stocked office fridge and pantry with free lunch on Fridays
- Thursday Happy Hour – Beer fridge, wine rack, liquor cabinet, and a spread of tasty treats